We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castelvetrano Sicily

Stillwater...
2 posts
Save Topic
Castelvetrano Sicily

We will be arriving in Castelvetrano on May 16th and staying in a rented villa for the next two weeks. Can anyone tell me about the market(s) in town and if there is one everyday or not. Also we will be arriving on a Saturday and need to purchase supplies when we get there. Is there a supermarket that is open on the weekends? Do the locals close everything on Sunday's and during their siesta? Thanks, Barb

7 replies to this topic
CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

Did you ever get a response? Our family is renting a villa in a few weeks. Any suggestions? Bernard

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,09,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

Castelvetrano's weekly market (food and clothing) is held on Tuesday mornings.

Vagabonda

Valrico, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

Looking to spend three nights in Western Sicily, have a car and would like to make day trips to Selinunte, Erice, (other local sights?). Would Castelvetrano make a good central location?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Selinunte
Selinunte
692 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,09,073 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

Castelvetrano is a genuine working town, not high on attractions for tourists, not high on amenities (hotels) for tourists, and a bit tricky with traffic.

Consider the Selinunte area, the Castellammare del Golfo/Scopello area, or the Trapani area.

Where to stay in Western Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/…46528988

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Selinunte
Selinunte
692 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Scopello
Scopello
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Saint Louis...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

I recently was in Castelvetrano & highly recommend a visit to Olio Verde located on the Becchina family's estate. My family & I did the tour of their olive groves & an olive oil tasting. Their oil is outstanding! We also spent the afternoon with the family's chef learning how to make pesto, pasta, & a traditional Sicilian stuffed meat roll with fresh tomato sauce. This wonderful meal was topped off with a yummy lemon cake made with their olive oil. We had a wonderful time & did not want to leave. The Becchina estate also has guest houses that can be rented. I would love to do that the next time I travel to Sicily.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

I recently was in Castelvetrano & highly recommend a visit to Olio Verde located on the Becchina family's estate. My family & I did the tour of their olive groves & an olive oil tasting. Their oil is outstanding! We also spent the afternoon with the family's chef learning how to make pesto, pasta, & a traditional Sicilian stuffed meat roll with fresh tomato sauce. This wonderful meal was topped off with a yummy lemon cake made with their olive oil. We had a wonderful time & did not want to leave. The Becchina estate also has guest houses that can be rented. I would love to do that the next time I travel to Sicily.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,09,073 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Castelvetrano Sicily

Thank you 63122Angie, and yes Becchina has been mentioned on these forums, and hopefully you'll write and submit a review.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Castelvetrano Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castelvetrano