We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephants

Staffordshire,
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Elephants

Hi We arrive in Habanara on 7 February for 2 nights. We have a driver provided and are looking at planning an intinerary for the 2 days. We hope to do Lion Rock as a must and also hope to do an elephant experience but looking at reviews note there may not be elephants in Minnerya safari park at this time of the year. Can you please advise if this is the case as don't want wasted time or trip. Also any other notable must does. We will be travelling on to Kandy.

Thanks.

2 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,739 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephants

Hi there,

The elephants are always there! But they alternate between Minneriya, Hurulu and Kaudulla parks through elephant corridors; and as February is not mating season the groups to see could be smaller than in August-Sept. Still, as long as you let the driver decide the park to go, 60-80% chance of seeing a larger group.

Other popular sights in the area are Dambulla Cave Temple and Pollonaruwa Gal Vihara.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
384 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephants

minneriya park is home for more than 300 elephants..some stay alone and some with herds. you will see elephants mainly morning and evening when they coming to drink water from lake and other small streams, Mainly minneriya lake.

peoblem with therse days is there is not enough water in those lakes as not much rain recently.. cold in the morning (compare to normal SL weather) and super hot after 10pm is make elephants and other animals come out early in the morning and they going back to the jungle for shelters early than normal days. so if you go early as possible you will see elephants wth big possibility.. this is what my jeep driver told me when I went on 24th Dec ..Hurulu and kaudulla is again vey good parks to see elephants its less crowds compared to minneriya..but that facts apply for this parks too

Reply to: Elephants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Habarana