We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Auckland
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Hi, Have spent the last hour trying to get this answer but no luck. So my first go at asking a question TA...

We will arrive in Macau Intl Airport at 10:20am on Monday 28th July and hope to meet friends at Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai around 11:45am.

I need to know:

1. What is the fastest method of transport?

2. What is the approximate time between Macau Airport and Jiuzhou Port?

3. Any experience on how busy this port is?

4. Is there an APEC lane?

Thank you so much!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

The time may be a bit tight. Your best bet is to take taxi at both ends.

#1) Taxi from Macau Airport to Gongbei Border (aka Cerco). AP1 bus will work too. (20 minutes or so, hopefully there is an available taxi at your service.)

#2) Cross the border to Zhuhai. (May take 30 minutes, or longer)

#3) Take a Zhuhai taxi to Jiuzhou Port. May take 15-20 minutes??? (I am not entirely sure on this one)

Auckland
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Thank you so much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

I am assuming you have a China visa?

I would avoid the Gonbei Border at all costs. Especially if you are a first time user. It is huge, slow and the Port Plaza Shopping complex on the Chinese side is very confusing. You will not find it easy to find a taxi - they are hidden in a basement level (-2/F) or at the adjacent train station.

First preference would be a taxi (or bus 26 or 21- if taxi queue is long and you see bus approaching you can run to the bus stop and catch. LOL) to The Lotus Border(Macau Cotai Border to Hengqin) which is very close to the airport in Taipa - .5 to 10 minutes maximum. Immigration lines here are virtually non existent. You then cross to China on a shuttle bus - for which you need to pay MOP/HKD/RMB 3 - no change. On the Chinese side take a taxi that will cost between 60 and 90.Rmb. This will be very much your quickest option. But beware there are both taxis and touts at the Border and they will try it on. If your plane is on time and you get a taxi quickly you will make your meeting at 11.45a easily.

The second best option is the Ferry from PONTE 14 - Yuet Tung Port( 澳门内港码头(原粤通码头)

This is a much shorter distance from Jiuzhou but will not be much quicker because the taxi from Hengqin can use faster routes avoiding congested areas in Zhuhai. Scenically this is a pleasant journey. and again immigration formalities on both sides are quick. NOTE there is a huge gap in the timetable from 11.15 to 13.00 for lunch! The actual crossing time is only 5 minutes and with good timing you can be end to end in less than 20 minutes. Taxi from airport will be 20 minutes.

Please be sure to have all your instructions written in Chinese for taxi drivers in Zhuhai and it is advisable to do the same in Macau.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Hi,

sorry, Macau is not a APEC member economies.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,333 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

MKiara??

I agree with Carbine regarding avoiding Gongbei if you are in a hurry.

What you are asking is impossible even though the distance is not great - it could take 20- 40 minutes to go through CQI at Macau and it regularly takes 1 hour to go through both borders at Gongbei. With a bit of luck midmorning will be quicker.

The point really is - are you trying to catch a ferry to HKG or just meeting friends to continue travelling? I regularly travel between Zhuhai & Macau & always allow 2 hours. My first choice has usually been the Wanzai Ferry but coming from MFM, I would choose the HengQin/ Lotus Bridge. You will need $HK on the Macau side & RMB for the Chinese taxi .

Carbine makes a good point about your Chinese visa. AFAIK VoA is not available at HengQin or Wanzai.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 02:09
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

zhuhai: mKiara's APEC reference is a response to the OP's question #4.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,333 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Oops - sorry I didn't see that. Yes Gongbei has an APEC lane, but Wanzai & Hengqin don't as they usually only have 1-2 lanes open in total.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

VoA (Visa on Arrival) is fraught - the rules change without notice. For many countries the cost of VoA is exceedingly pricey - notably Brits and Americans.

There is the facility to join a Group Visa. This requires travelling with group both ways and is only permitted AFAIK at the Gonbei Border Gate. It is for one day only and effectively requires entry and return within normal working day hours. That said, it is a very low cost option, and it allows visitors/residents who would normally have to get a visa from the Chinese embassy in their country of citizenship to enjoy a trip. If anybody is interested please PM, there is often the prospect of tagging on to an existing group especially at weekends.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,333 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

I assumed the OP is a kiwi, for whom VoA is very easy & has been stable for many years.

Auckland
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re: Macau Airport to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai

Correct I am a kiwi, but do have APEC card so will try Gongbei assuming it has an APEC Lane!

Thank you all so much for the advice. Much appreciated.