We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

Hi,

I have read recommendations to buy the pastries (almond biscuits etc) from Ko Kei and Choi Heung Yuen. Appreciate advise on :

1) taste wise, which one is better (esp for almond biscuits)

2) other than almond biscuits, any recommendation on the signature pastries/biscuits that I should get from either shop?

3) price and service wise, are both about the same? (i would want to avoid rude sales staff!)

4) are the fresher ones at the st paul ruin's location?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

1. Different people like different tastes - don't worry - both companies give free samples so you can make up your own mind! There are also smaller family-run shops that produce smaller batches according to their own recipes (they also provide free samples) - don't get sucked in to buying from a big chain just because they have the company machine behind them: some smaller places produce equally good products but just aren't so ambitious for fame and fortune.

2. Egg rolls - they now come in many flavours but I still like the original style best :-). I'm also fond of the coconut and ginger candy, and the sesame candies. The peanut or walnut candies are also popular, as is the nougat. Oh, and the dry barbecue meat, but most Singaporeans seem to prefer the style they buy at home.

3. Yes, but I can imagine that staff at any of these places might get short-tempered if they have a lot of difficult customers on a specially busy day (like weekends), so do be nice to them :-)

4. I don't think so; most shops have their own preparation areas.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

Hi

Personally I prefer the almond biscuits from Koi Kei. Do also give a try on their original egg rolls and ginger candy. To avoid carrying the heavy stuff, make your purchase only after your tour on St Paul Ruins ie downhill.

Edited: 06 June 2011, 19:58
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

try the free samples when you are going up or down st paul's ruins. thats what we did. try them all and see which you like best. my wife ended up choosing the almond cookies from one of those smaller shops. she said it tasted better than koi kei and you can't argue with the boss!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

Thanks all for the advise! will certainly sample taste around as advised. thinking of the yummy snacks now makes me hungry : )

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
5,294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

1.) Both are good but we like Koi Kei almond cakes better

2.) All sorts of pastries, cakes and Macanese specialties to sample at all the bakery shops. Try the braised meat. Koi Kei's is superb, we always buy to take back to HK during weekend trips to Macau.

3.) Super busy and constant shops filled with buyers, must be a tough job for the packers and cashiers. They do look exhausted at times but we've never had any service problems. Its a select, buy and leave deal. You don't spend much time with the shop-keepers or staff while in the bakeries.

4.) Interestingly, our favorite shop is the Koi Kei branch right below the steps at the St. Paul's ruins. We've always has great braised meat there. Can't say that its better for certain but it has always tasted excellent here. They move products so fast at all their branches that I doubt there is any difference at all in freshness, quality or taste.

The Almond cakes are no different anywhere.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

@holidaydreamin...also walnut cookies..I like them too from Koi Kei.

Hey, I have seen Koi Kei almond cookies in Singapore: 德信medical hall (chinatown) & Sheng Siong supermarket ,and also OG at Somerset.

@BradJill- Koi Kei has a branch around Times Square area? but they do not stock the egg white Phoenix roll with seaweed. My friends in HK is always asking me to buy this when I pop over to Macau.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
5,294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

Not surprised. the HK Branches are quite limited compared to the main branches in Macau. Same problem with the branch we visit in Mongkok. We don't even bother shopping there for the most part, just wait for our trips to Macau.

Quezon City, Quezon...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

fo they have stores in hongkong island ?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

I don't think Choi Heung Yuen Bakery has set up shop in Hong Kong. But Koi Key Bakery has set up one shop in Causeway Bay (Hong Kong Island):

www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm…

We have been in the store, and walked out disappointed. The outlet in Hong Kong just doesn't carry the kind of variety of goodies as they do in Macau. And prices seemed a bit higher too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
5,294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Kei bakery vs Choi Heung Yuen Bakery - which one better?

The Koi Kei stores in HK are much smaller with reduced selection. Many say the quality is the same but we have not been as impressed with purchases in HK and usually save up our Koi Kai purchases for Macau trips.