We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone app

2 posts
Save Topic
phone app

Are there any helpful phone apps for travelers to Macau and Hong Kong ?

I'm looking for something that would help me navigate these two cities , find attractions, museums, tours, etc . I'm leaving tomorrow and staying for couple of weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone app

I've used several for Macau that were recommended on the Google Play Store website (for Android.) Apple surely has some too.

What I found is that they weren't really that helpful, were loaded with advertising, and that the spam refused to die long after the parent programs were uninstalled. Also found that the information was often out of date and incorrect, such as opening times for museums and other attractions.

Maybe I just failed to discover the best one. Someone else may know more. A map app is a good idea, as is a translator app.

Edited: 11 December 2016, 02:23
Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: phone app

Thank you for your reply. I guess Google Maps and Trip Adviser will be my only guides .

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
6,377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone app

I have the same impression as ZhongguoKM.

The good news is that the Macau is tiny and you can make good use of hand map that can be picked up at any MGTO tourist office at the ferry terminals or airport when you arrive and you'll be able to make your way around the sightseeing areas just fine.

If you want to download and print the map prior to visiting to Macau - here is the direct link to the MGTO map online

http://en.macaotourism.gov.mo/corner/map.php

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone app

I downloaded the third one listed here: en.macaotourism.gov.mo/corner/phone_apps.php . It was pretty spam free. However, I found that I rarely used it.

Also, I found that Google Maps can be off by 100 feet or so in Macau.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
5. Re: phone app

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2017, 10:45