We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Level Contributor
33 posts
First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

As the title says, we'll be first timers in a few weeks. This year has been so busy we're just looking to relax a bit but are hoping to rent a car for a few days to see a bit of the island.

First night meal for my husband has always got to be a kleftico, he's not bothered if it's in foil, in a pot, with feta or not, he just wants a good one! Any recommendations for us? We're staying at the Captains House but are big moochers of an evening so happy to have a reasonable walk to a good taverna.

Thank you

15 replies to this topic
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

try Flamingos for Kleftico.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Not sure if they have kleftiko but Socrates make delicious traditional greek dishes. A little off the 'high street' bit so worth finding.Enjoy Skala.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
3. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

As mentioned Flamingos is very good, it’s positioned a few minutes from Captains House at the bottom of the adjacent street.. if you do go there then I’d walk past during the day and ask to book a table in the evening as it gets busy. You can eat in the garden area at the rear which is nice or at the front which is good for having a nosy.. anyway enjoy.. our favourite is Galera of which there’s plenty of reviews on here.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Hi. Went went to Skala last year for the first time (and to the island itself). Absolutely loved it and going back again next June. We also stayed at Captain's House - a brilliant, small but exceptionally clean and friendly hotel. All the staff are brilliant and their cocktail bar is second to none, sure you will enjoy it. Can't recall where the best kleftico was but we loved Sirocco restaurant on the main road. Also if you go to the beach, turn right at the bottom of the hill and there is a taverna called Milos opposite the beach there. Food is great and reasonably priced and again the people who run it are lovely. Have a great time, we can't wait for next June!

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
947 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Walking from your hotel up the hill, to the right of the park - tavern Apostolis is up a side street - sometimes has kleftiko as a special. Also try Akrogiali - down to the coast road and turn left walk a bit. I think Skala is amazing and you will enjoy exploring all the tavernas. Enjoy!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

can reccomend Apostolis and Agrokoli both do great food.

Level Contributor
33 posts
7. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Thanks for the suggestions, there’s a good few to get us going until we get our bearings! 2 weeks on Saturday, can’t wait. We do revisit places but always have a new one in between and Skala has been on the horizon a while.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Recommend Galera for kleftiko, served more upmarket than traditional.

Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

I am watching with interest as I will also be a first time visitor next June!!! but already booked our room at Natalies Hotel and I cannot wait to visit.

Michelle x

Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)

Hi,

I had a lovely lamb Kleftico at Mikelatos in Skala. It came in foil. It also had a lovely sauce and was piping hot. The lamb was so nice, it just fell apart. Would highly recommend! It does get busy in the restaurant but the service in there is amazing! You won’t have to wait more than 5 mins for a table.

Thanks,

Reply to: First timers to Skala (and Cephalonia for that matter!!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations