We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quads v car hire

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Quads v car hire

Would we be able to hire and use a quad all over the island and would it be cheaper than car hire or would we be better with car hire. If anyone has any recommendations could they please advise .We will be staying in Skala end of August to beginning of September .

Kind regards.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Quads v car hire

Hi Tracey,

The island is quite large and hilly. I do not know much about Quads but would think some of the smaller ones would struggle with some of the hills.

Here are the details of a reputable scooter and quad rental company just outside Skala.

http://www.k1kef.com/Prices.html

Here are also the details of a couple of car rental companies with full insurance and no excess.

greekstones-rentacar.com/english/company.htm

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/bookings/index

To get an accurate quote from Pefanis you would need to email him as his website shows current prices and not those for August/September

Excuse me if you know all this but have you checked your travel insurance as most companies exclude scooters and quads from their cover. The cover you get with the quad only covers anybody or anything you might hit and sometimes the vehicle itself. You are not covered for any medical expenses or an emergency flight home if you are unfortunate enough to have a serious accident.

Sorry to be pessimistic and of course many folks have enjoyable time and are accident free.

Bob

PS there is a 300€ fine for not wearing a crash helmet if you ate caught

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Quads v car hire

Thanks Bob, is the transfer easy from the airport to Skala, not sure whether to pick car up from airport or collect from Skala.

Kind regards

Tracey

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Quads v car hire

Hi again,

If you have a transfer include then it is usually by coach and, once away from the airport area, is a pleasant journey with great scenery. Depending on how many other drop offs there are it can take up to 90 minutes or sometimes even more.

If you pick up a car from the airport then the first time you drive it, it will take about 75 minutes. It is not a difficult drive and only gets twisty towards the end. The road is wide enough for two coaches to pass each other except in a village or two when a bit of give and take is used, so no problem there.

Advantage of getting car at airport is when you depart you can get to the airport early and miss the coach queues waiting to check in.

If you get your car in Skala then you won't need it for the first and last day so maybe a bit of money saved

Bob

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Quads v car hire

We hired a quad bike for a few days last june whilst in skala..... great for nipping around on not sure I would have wanted to travel round the island on it. Also no protection from the sun with the quad which end of august will be very hot... I had lovely red legs from the short time we had it. More freedom and comfort with a car in my opinion. Hired a car a couple of years ago which we hired whilst in skala we always use the coach transfer which we actually enjoy as good views along the way. Enjoy scala, we return in june for our 7th year.

bristol
Level Contributor
913 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Quads v car hire

We have travelled around the island on a scooter - so far no problem. We enjoy the freedom of a bike but have never used a quad bike. However, they are very popular and when they are hired you do not need a motor cycle licence

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Quads v car hire

Ok , Thanks everyone. Still not sure which will be better as we haven't been to Cephalonia before so not sure how big the island will seem compared to other islands we have stayed on. If we go to Poros Island we usually hire a quad as the island is so tiny.

Thanks again

Level Contributor
5,250 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Quads v car hire

Hi, Poros is approx 49.5 km2, Kef is approx 773 km2!!!

bristol
Level Contributor
913 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Quads v car hire

You probably won't need to see all of the island during one holiday. There is a lot to see so you could leave some for next time!!

Kent
Level Contributor
556 posts
82 reviews
9. Re: Quads v car hire

We hire a car when in Greece so no experience of quads. Just make sure you are covered by your insurance or take out extra cover if you do hire one. I have heard a few stories of people not being covered after an accident.

Leicester
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Quads v car hire

We hire a jeep of some sort on holiday to enjoy the scenery and that open air feel.. Kefalonia is very hilly and to be honest I think a quad is only going to be any good for some really local travel. I can't actually recall seeing one except in a town during our July 2015 fortnight there. We went on the road almoast evey day and I think managed 1500km during out stay. The roads are good so you can travel quickly in a car. We didn't manage to cover all the places we wanted to see either.

We got a good all inclusive deal with Perfanis pre-booked about 8 months in advance!

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations