We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies

Whalley, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies

Hi All

We are travelling to Skala early July, I was wondering what the mozzie situation was like, and will we need to pack industrial strength repellent?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies

Everyone has a remedy for mozzies. We take garlic capsules year round , the theory is they do not like the taste of it in your blood. On holiday we use a plug in machine in the studio, many good hotels have screens over the windows, and we do not leave the door open endlessly. My wife does not wear perfume or hair spray, me neither ! and uses a repellent spray . Last 2 years we have had only minor problems.

Hopefully the bad weather on the island this winter will minimise the problems this summer.

Edited: 30 January 2017, 22:00
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies

Seen this new product. No idea how good it is but it does not need to be put on skin.

purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/…

We follow a similar routine to Barry and rarely get a problem

Bob

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies

Hi, we were there end of June into July and September. We use jungle strength with deet spray, and I use Avon original dry oil body spray and only had a couple of bites on the 2 holidays. Normally they love me so either it works or they don't like oldies. .hope. you have a bite free holiday.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies

i use Boots insect repellent sun cream and after sun , also Avon skin so soft original after i have showered. Always put a plug in the apartment for over night. On the balcony light a citronella candle. Not been bitten in 10 years

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies

We have found that Mozzies can be a problem in Kefalonia as green vegetation and standing water is plentiful.

For what its worth my tuppenny's worth:

My theory is that Mozzies do not prefer one person over another. I believe that some of us react to Mozzie bites others do not or not quite as badly. The reaction apparently is to Mozzie saliva which they inject through the skin via their proboscis prior to extracting our blood, this acts as an anaesthetic and anti-coagulant. Typically its only the females that bite (Joke!). As we get older our reaction often becomes more severe, something to do with mature immune system or so my doctor explained. I don't see how garlic favoured blood would prevent the initial bite? It is also difficult to understand how a local Citronella patch or bracelet protects remote parts of the body ? My recommendation is "Mosi-Guard" or similar rub on stick is easiest to apply but difficult to find these days, apply this to exposed parts of the body. The odour is not great but better than suffering bites the next day. The plug in tablet devices for the rooms do seem to deter them. If sitting on the balcony we always use a few Citronella candles or even the coil things that can be found in outdoor shops. All this definitely works for us. In saying that everyone to their own - if it works stick with it. If you do get badly bitten remember that infection can quickly set in so try not to scratch and break the skin, have some bite/sting lotion with you just in case, I find one with antihistamine to be most effective.

bristol
Level Contributor
905 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies

We use citronella candles on the balcony. Jungle formula roll on for the body which I don't find over the top fragrance wise. Before we go out in the evening I use a fly spray all around the apartment then shut the doors, When we return to the balcony at night we light the candles and make sure we do not leave the balcony door open more than necessary. Not a problem although does sound a bit intense!!

bristol
Level Contributor
905 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies

ps We also use plug inns

West Mids
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies

Hi, we do all of the above but also take B6 tablets the combination works wonderfully for us.

Since doing this I no longer get eaten alive as I always was before.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzies

I swear by avon skin so soft. Works a treat for me.

Leicester
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzies

Judging from the other replies we must have been lucky. We went to Skala in July 2015 for two weeks. Personally I don't use anything for the Mozzies or for the Sun come to that. My wife and son cream up as normal for Sun protection. I don't recall there being a Mozzie problem and may have been bitten a handful of times in the fortnight. However we take a plug in for the room if it is needed (not needed or used that year).

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations