We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps in corfu island

Glasgow
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
wasps in corfu island

Hi

We are considering booking 'somewhere' in Corfu for Mid-August 2017, maybe say Dassia/Perama/Moraitika etc and are wondering if it is plagued by wasps? Can anyone help with this question please?

Also, we have only been to Kassiopi, but it's too far from airport for one of my friends, so would like somewhere similar but with a better beach - again can anyone suggest somewhere nearer to the airport, say within a 45 min drive. (none of us will be driving, so will have to take a taxi)

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Dassia
Dassia
Corfu, Greece
Perama
Perama
Corfu, Greece
Moraitika
Moraitika
Corfu, Greece
Kassiopi
Kassiopi
1,973 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
7 replies to this topic
Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wasps in corfu island

Anywhere there is fruit, there are wasps - even in the UK. The fruit mostly ripens by early September, so they do reach a peak then. They are not as large or aggressive as those in the UK.

Kassiopi is within a 45 minute drive from the airport, as are most of the resorts in the north of the island. Perhaps you want something even closer ...

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Kassiopi
Kassiopi
1,973 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wasps in corfu island

I went to Moraitika this year and was very pleased with my choice. Messonghi is just down the road, can stroll from one resort to the other. Have been to Perama, it is nowhere near as nice as Moraitika, which has a sandy beach and a very good selection of traditional tavernas. Can't comment on the wasps as we went in May, no problem whatsoever then of course. Can recommend the Smartline Nassos hotel, all newly refurbished, friendly staff and handy for the beach. Coach transfer took about 40 minutes I think.

Edited: 24 October 2016, 00:19
Mentioned in this post
Moraitika
Moraitika
Corfu, Greece
Messonghi Beach Resort
Messonghi Beach Resort
2,270 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Perama
Perama
Corfu, Greece
Birmingham
Level Contributor
305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wasps in corfu island

We went to Dassia in August this year and found wasps in a rocky outcrop on the beach - no fruit to be found around! Our hotel also had a problem with them hanging round the bar but as said above they are a lot less aggressive than in the UK

Mentioned in this post
Dassia
Dassia
Corfu, Greece
Lancashire
Level Contributor
901 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wasps in corfu island

I am terrified of wasps ! Daft as it sounds , but I do agree with previous posters that they do seem less aggressive in Corfu ! As for resort , I would say have a look at Messonghi , next door to Moraitika. Near enough to walk into Moraitika , but more relaxed in my opinion with excellent tavernas.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Messonghi Beach Resort
Messonghi Beach Resort
2,270 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Moraitika
Moraitika
Corfu, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wasps in corfu island

Hi there

I must admit I have never seen so many wasps as I did at the end of August in Kassiopi - I have no idea why they appear worst than on other Greek islands - we stay in Crete most months during the summer and you rarely see one - and even after being stung numerous times including by a hornet !! :-( it wouldn't put me off travelling to Corfu again - we love the north of the island and hope to return in a couple of years..it's a beautiful island :-) I recommend carrying one of those wasp sting sprays with you :-) ...sorry can't remember the name

Mentioned in this post
Kassiopi
Kassiopi
1,973 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Devon
Level Contributor
112 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wasps in corfu island

We have been to Corfu in August for the several years now and to different areas of the island. Some years there are wasps, so many in fact they do become a real nuisance in the day, some years (the last two) we barely see any. So it's so difficult to say a definite yes or no as to whether you will have a problem or not. But please don't let them put you off going! They are a nuisance sometimes, especially at lunchtime, but the restaurant owners always help to keep them away.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wasps in corfu island

The mossies are a bigger problems, bitten all over even with repellant on. Wasps were a nuisance Sept 2017.

Reply to: wasps in corfu island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town