We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
91 reviews
Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

We've been to Corfu Town many times and love its architecture and atmosphere, especially in the evenings. We're considering a 10 night holiday in Rhodes in September and I wondered whether anybody has been to both and has any comparisons or comments to offer.

Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
829 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

It's been some time but I have vsited both and each have their charm.

Rhodes Town probably edges it in terms of size and architecture.

As a destination I preferred Corfu.

Edited: 02 August 2016, 15:13
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Long time since I was in Rhodes town, but it's a fascinating place with lots to see. For me, though, I'd choose Corfu. It's less touristy (I know that sounds crazy but I think it is true, especially in the evening when the cruise ships aren't there), I think there's more to do than in Rhodes, and plenty of easy day trips around the island.

But if you love Corfu town, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy Rhodes - and you'll almost certainly get better weather in Sept!

If you do go to Rhodes, don't miss the city walls walk, if it's still open!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Im going next year to Rhodes town for a week and my research tells me walls walk is open on my to do list.

SoniaB

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

We preferred Rhodes Town, Corfu Town and Kos Town to Heraklion, Zakynthos Town and Mytilini. We also have been to a few islands with smaller capitals but it would be unfair to compare those.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
230 reviews
5. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

HI there

Yes I have been a few times to both, and love both islands - and while other posters have said that "both have their charms" which I agree with , I think I prefer Rhodes town, the Palace of Grand Master of Knights is wonderful :-) and island wise, I also think that Rhodes just has the edge over Corfu, the drive up from the south west coast of the island of Rhodes is stunning - just coast line and countryside and not a hotel complex in sight.

Enfield, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Rhodes town the old part is amazing really lovely the people are really nice there too I love corfu town too also kos town in fact all the greek islands we have visited have there own charm , I'm sure you will have a wonderful holiday be sure to visit lindos

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Thanks for all the replies. We've booked the Ibiscus hotel! It's fairly obvious from all the accommodation options and the photos of the rows of sunbeds on the beach, that Rhodes Town is quite a lot more touristy than Corfu Town, but it's somewhere new for us and I'm looking forward to exploring it.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

I'd say historically Rhodes town architecture goes back several centuries earlier than Corfu Town, which is itself Venetian.The architecture of both is extremely impressive, you would not be disappointed which ever you choose. Consider other important factors you may want to experience during your stay.

We went to Corfu Town yesterday, I didn't quite realize how very impressive it would be, a very pleasant surprise. Then again our day trip to Rhodes old town was easily the highlight of our holiday on Rhodes.

If pushed I'd say the Corfu has so many 'A' list trips available at a reasonable price I'd choose Corfu. But each to their own.

Edited: 03 August 2016, 00:49
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
91 reviews
9. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Thanks Gr33nstripe. As I said earlier, we've been to Corfu Town many times - most recently for 5 nights this June on our way to Paxos - so we're well aware of its charms and my question wasn't really asking which one I should choose, but whether we are likely to enjoy Rhodes Town as much as we've always enjoyed Corfu Town.

One of the many things we love about Corfu Town is spending time in the evenings pre-dinner, sitting in a bar on the Liston or one of the many little squares and just soaking up the atmosphere. We ended up booking 12 nights in Rhodes Town, so hopefully that will give us plenty of time to find similar people-watching locations!

Edited: 03 August 2016, 12:34
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,881 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Anyone been to Corfu Town AND Rhodes Town?

Rhodes Town

http://tinyurl.com/d5xz9o

Rhodes Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/czvsch

Archeological museum (in Old Town)

http://tinyurl.com/c9dxvl

Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations