We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or Card

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or Card

Thinking of going to Corfu this year

Have not heard about Greece of late regarding the money problems of latter years

Is it wise to take all cash there, or are the ATMs being stocked enough for travelers

would folk on here recommend traveling to this Island ?

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or Card

Hey and welcome Halwit:-) You won't have any problem accessing cash via ATMs.. any restrictions that were in play and still are affect the locals only.. visitors have no limitations on what they can withdraw.. limitations are placed by one's own personal bank/institutions;-) FWIW, I've read here that folks from the UK get a pretty good exchange rate.. nonetheless (and we do not here in the States), can't imagine traveling with all my vacay money in cash.. ATMs work great;-)

As far as rec the isle.. why not.. all up to you and what you're looking for;-) It's been a while since I've been to Corfu but it's a beautiful, largish green/lush isle with a wonderful, vibrant Town.. nothing not to like;-) Best.. and EnJOY!|

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or Card

Thanks for the reply

I have been to Corfu a while ago myself also,but not since they had had the problems

I would really love to go back, but heard of problems in the Greek Islands with hotels not having enough stock and so forth

Like you, i would not want to go away with all cash, this is why i asked and it would not bother to travel that way

Edited: 13 June 2016, 04:09
Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or Card

My pleasure:-) Don't know what you mean by hotels not having *stock* and so forth.. having traveled to Greece and it's isles yearly for decades now, haven't come across any problems or issues whatsoever.. from accessing cash.. to hotels in Athens to simple studio efficiencies on the isles;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or Card

There has never been a problem for visitors getting money out here, even during the crisis. I have not heard one report of hotels being out of stock of anything. Isolated, unrelated incidents, perhaps on a single one of Greece's many islands, are pounced upon by the press who are under pressure to sell newspapers regardless of the truth. There are more ATMs than ever in Corfu this year, so withdraw cash as and when you need it. The best deal is a card such as Fairfx where your only limit is what's in your account, and transaction fees are minimal.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or Card

25 million people visit greece yearly with zero problems..i can not believe the things foreign media write..there was a week's scare last summer with all the bargaining between the greek government and E.U but luckily we are passed this and everything is as always.

go ahead and book,corfu is lovely

6. Re: Cash or Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations