We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
33 reviews
Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

We're trying to break the long drive from Corfu to Athens with an overnight stop on the way, Would really love to find a beach location, if possible, because I'm sure we'll be sad to leave the beautiful island of Corfu....

Could anyone recommend a nice place?

Is Lefkada a reasonable option (I think it may still be too far from Athens).

Thanks!

Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

If your plan is to drive then two places come to mind. Neither known for the beaches though. On the north side of the gulf of Corinth, you could do worse than the arguably most powerful and beautiful place in Greece, Delphi! On the south side of the gulf stay at beautiful town of Nafplion. While there visit Agamemnons fortress at Mycenae. Either place, you are in for a treat. Don't even consider Patras, its an ugly mess. The islands Cephalonia and or Zakinthos need more than a day. Save them for next time.

Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Thanks Aristes! thats some important information on Patras, it looks so beautiful in the pictures!

We were planning on going to Delphi and Meteora before Corfu,after landing in Athens. but maybe we'll split between the two and go to Delphi on the return trip to Athens? However, according to Google maps Delphi is still almost 7 hours of driving from Corfu. right?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,975 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

In case you did not see it I will repeat my answer from your other post:

You would have a choice of routes returning from Corfu to Athens, but I'd estimate you're looking at around 7 hours or more from Igoumenitsa without stops, and without the ferry crossing from Corfu. So it's much more than 7 hours in total.

The route south via Patras and Corinth is not advisable; the Patras-Corinth stretch of road is widely considered to be the most stressful and dangerously accident-prone roads in Greece. I understand it is currently down to one lane due to ongoing roadworks and therefore prone to long delays. The roadworks are ongoing and there is no completion date in sight so likely still to be in progress when ypu visit.

Alternatively you would drive west, backtracking through Kalambaka and then south to Athens.

A route that avoids backtracking would be: Athens to Delphi; Delphi to Igoumenitsa and ferry to Corfu (maybe 5 hours plus the ferry crossing); Corfu to Kalambaka (Meteora); Kalambaka back to Athens. All this would be way too much driving for me but if you (and your children) are happy spending a large proportion of your holiday in car that's your choice.

I would advise renting a car at Athens airport, drive to Delphi and Meteora then return to the airport and take a flight to Corfu, renting a car on arrival there.

Edited: 05 June 2016, 14:22
Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Thanks! Sounds like a good plan. Would it make a difference if we did Meteora first and then Delphi on the return? As far as driving goes, should it be the same? Unfortunately, a flight to corfu for 5 people is out of our budget.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,975 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Yes that's also a possibility. Study Google maps to see the *relative* driving times but note that Google maps driving times are usually under-estimated. Expect to take 10% to 20% longer than they say, plus stops and any ferry crossings.

Have you actually checked www.aegeanair.com for the cost of flights Athens-Corfu? They are often very reasonable, and might compare favourably with the total of car hire + fuel + road tolls. Return flights for an adult in mid July are around €75.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,975 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Also include in your estimates the cost of taking a car and 5 passengers on the ferry between Corfu and Igoumenitsa. Last time I looked it was €40 for the car and €10 per person, each way. So that's €180 in total for the return trip. And do make sure yor car hire company permits ferry crossings and insures you for them.

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Hi 3monkeys!

If you do decide to drive, don't be too put off by the Patras to Corinth section. It's certainly not pleasant, but if you go carefully and stay within your comfort speed it's fine. I'm not a hugely confident driver but I've done it many times, I don't like it but then I don't like the M25 either! And it is much shorter than the Delphi route.

You're right to think that Lefkada isn't really far enough on your way, it's still about 5 hours from Athens. If you're keen to get one last swim, try Akrata or Xylokastro, both are small seaside towns between Patra and Corinth, both have a few pleasant little hotels, and they have ok beaches -- but nowhere along the Gulf of Corinth can compare with Corfu!

Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

Thanks to all of your great tips, we decided to change some things around and take this route: Athens - Delphi (1 night), Delphi - Corfu (I know its a long drive with the ferry and all, but doing this at the beginning of our trip will be easier. We'll plan on the afternoon ferry from igoumenitsa). Spend 4 days on the island, then Meteora (debating whether to try and go up to Zagoria or is it way too much. If we do - then 1 night less in Corfu). 1 night Meteora - drive back to Athens for the last night and full day before our flight home. Any comments anyone? :-) (My apologies to those who read the Athens post if this is duplicate)

9. Re: Recommended stop between Corfu and Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations