We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corfu on Ochi Day

Irvine, CA
4 posts
1 review
Corfu on Ochi Day

Hello! We will be in Corfu on October 28, Ochi Day. Have read that banks, shops and most places will be closed due to the holiday. Will the town essentially be shut down with not much to see or do? Any info and advise would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

What an opportunity! - forget shopping, admire the wonderful Venetian buildings of the old town, the panoramic vistas across the bay and enjoy the Ochi Day celebrations.

Steve

Irvine, CA
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

Hi Steve! Actually we are not much into shopping although we do enjoy good food and wine. I was just wondering with it being a holiday, if we would have more difficulty getting around (local transportation, closures of areas, etc.). Any insights or recommendations? Thank you in advance! :)

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

I guess you will be on a cruise ship, so it should not be a problem. If they don't shuttle you into old Corfu Town, it's no more than a brisk 20 minute walk. All the bars & restaurants will be open, and may be more full than usual as people enjoy the day off. This is a very friendly & sociable island, and quite unique.

Steve

Bruton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

Just realised we'll be there too (not on a cruise ship though)! What happens with the Ochi Day celebrations, and where might the best place be to see what's going on?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
5. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

i can't say for corfy,but what happens around greece in ochi day usually is a parade for the schoolkids and then the families having the day off enjoying their coffee..so it's nothing too much,just a day out ..and it's usually sunny still so it's a good day

Irvine, CA
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

Thanks Steve! Do you have recommendations for a good lunch spot for Corfiot cuisine?

@Prudanced, would love the same information. I've been researching and have not been successful in finding info on celebrations, parades, etc.!

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

I can't agree with athanasios - 'Oxi' day in Corfu is a wonderful example of how a proud nation recognises the refusal of Prime Minister Metaxas to bow to the demands of Italian dictator Mussolini. The fact that children are involved is admirable in that it conveys to them the importance of their heritage and guarantees that the celebrations will continue into the future. This is the real living Greece and it is worth seeing.

In terms of a restaurant, as you have little time and to keep it simple, head for the Town Hall Square (M.Theotoki Square) and follow Guildford Street as it ambles uphill. Several good restaurants there.

Steve

Irvine, CA
4 posts
1 review
8. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

Thanks for the tips! Our ship will be in port from 8am to 5pm, so hopefully we will be able to get a good taste of Corfu Town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
9. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

Agree with Steve. Town Hall Square has a couple of really good restaurants and in Guilford Street is a baker's where you can sit outside with a cup of coffee and croissant whatever and watch the world go by.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
119 reviews
10. Re: Corfu on Ochi Day

A fantastic family day today, especially watching all the young people proudly waving their national flags and celebrating Greece's unique heritage. To cap it all, it was such a beautiful day with temperatures reaching the mid-upper twenties. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Steve

Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations