We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Corfu to stay on?

RI
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Corfu to stay on?

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

My husband and I are traveling with another couple in April, 2014.

Originally we thought about trying to visit several of the Ionian Islands but that seems kind of difficult seeing as we only have about 9 days total.

Now I'm thinking that maybe we should base ourselves in Corfu for the whole time.

We like harbour towns, access to many tavernas, water views etc. We are not necessarily into the party scene.

Is Corfu large enough that we should split our time between two parts of the island or just stay in one area? And what parts of the island are best for what we want? Since the weather may be on the cool side, we don't care about the beaches so much.

We have been to Greece twice before and have loved Chania, Crete, Naphlio, and Santorini.

Any suggestions or advice for us?

Thanks

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

Inmy opinion the best place is corfou town.It is a very beautiful city , especially the old town, with two fortresses to visit, huge and wonderful square, places to walk around.Just think of Chania with an italian touch.In April you will not find a lot of open places on the other part of the island (this happens to allthe islands).From Corfou town you can rent a car and you can see all the island (40 km for the north part, 40 km for the south).In April you can find really good prices for everything, but you will have limited choises for hotels.Hope to visit Corfou at last, you will love it!

RI
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

That sounds wonderful!

Thank you for your help

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

Hi bettina222,

If you go to Corfu, i would definitely recommend Arillas. I say it would suit anyone who isn't into going out partying every night! It's a lovely quiet area that has a lot to offer, in many ways.

There's plenty of Tavernas, food and drink is very reasonably priced and more important, very tasty! :-)

There's lots of lovely small apartments, not the huge complex type places.

A beautful beach. It is very easy to book the day trips so that you can visit surrounding areas.

I have just recently returned from spending a week in Arillas, i visited San Stefanos, Sidari, Kassiopi, Erikoussa, Paleokastritsa - had an amazing week, so much so, that i have already booked to go back for 2 weeks next August!

Rachel x

RI
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

Thanks Rachel,

Where is Arillas in relation to Corfu Town?

jersey,Channel Isles
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

Arillas is up on the NW coast and is lovely but I really don't think that there will be much open in April there.

You could always ask on the Welcome to Arillas website but I would think that most places would be closed until May.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

I would go with Xrstina....It would depend on what part of April you will be travelling, Corfu Town, especially the Old Town is rather special and you would find more things open at that time of year.

I agree that Arillas would suit you, but it might be too early for things to be open as the season usually starts early May.

Whatever you choose.....Corfu is really a most beautiful island and in April you will see all the lovely flowers in full swing.

Fi

RI
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

We would be traveling mid April..........just in time for Greek Easter I believe

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

The period of greek eastern is a very busy time for the island, as Corfou is famous for the way Eastern is celebrated.Music bands are playing all the days in the streets of the old town, you can watch wonderful celebrations! But then it is definetely the old town of Corfou!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

If you are travelling at Easter time....then it has to be Corfu Town.....wonderful celebrations! you will enjoy it.

Fi

RI
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Corfu to stay on?

Thanks again.

Any special recommendations on places to stay?

We typically like small pension type places..........doesn't need to be fancy, just clean.

We love being able to walk in the area.

Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations