We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

Hi Guys.

Will be off a cruise ship for 1 day and hiring a vehicle to explore Corfu. Just wondering what would be the must sees you could recommend for us and what is the nicest beach to stop for a swim along the way.

Any information would be greatly appreicated.

Regards Bob & Chris.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
1. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189458-c96694/Corfu:…

the harbour area is right in the centre of corfu town , and is very beautiful in its own rights , 10 minutes stroll brings you to the old town , lots to see and allyways full of shops to explore, as in trip advisers report [above] the beaches you wish to see are on the far side of the island , your time scedule does,nt allow for travel on our mountainous winding roads to see them ., the vidos island option sounds good, ,also Paliokastritsa doable, but would leave little time for sightseeing in town itself

Enjoy your stay on this lovely island

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

I have to agree with moonpig and in fact wouldn't hire a car at all.

The old town is large enough to keep you happy for any hours. it is very beautiful as there are so many wonderful sites and exhibitions. The architecture is also completely stunning!!

I'd start by walking around the walls first thing in the morning before it gets too hot and then explore the interior. :O) :O)

Edited: 17 March 2012, 14:24
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

Sorry that should be 'many hours' I have a sticky m key on my laptop lol!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

Hi Bob, Chris,

You've had good advice in the previous posts that i would agree with, while there are many great places to visit on Corfu trying to see them in one day would mean you would be tearing round the Island all day without having enough time anywhere to really to them justice.

If you do end up hiring the car i would head for Paleokastritsa, beautiful scenery, beaches and the monastery,

Stu

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

Hi Bob & Chris,

An American friend of mine had the one day on Corfu during her cruise. She and her husband and a few friends from the ship rented a van and travelled to Palaiokastritsa and also saw the convent Vlacherna and nearby Pontikonissi which are in Kanoni, just south of town and are usually regarded as a "must-see" for tourists to Corfu. They also spent time in the town itself, exploring the narrow old Venetian streets and relaxing in a cafe in the Liston, a promenade modelled on the Rue de Rivoli in Paris. So it can be done!

If you decide to venture to cross the island to Palaiokastritsa, it's about a 45-minute drive from Corfu Town. It 's a beautiful, Capri-like series of bays. The beaches are small and rocky with very clear, quite cold water, but there are caves to explore and, if you drive up to the monastery Stu mentions, spectacular views over the sea. The next-closest of Corfu's best beaches are Glyfada and Agios Gordis, both sandy with rolling waves. You have to take different routes from the one to Palaiokastritsa and the drive is a bit longer.

But if you don't want cram so much into your day, you could stay on the east side of the island where the town is. You could drive south from the town to see Pontikonissi and then carry on to the fishing village of Benitses and the beach at Messonghi. The beach is not as impressive as those on the west coast but it is very pleasant. There is also a pretty good beach at Dassia, just a 20 minute drive north of the town.

Enjoy your visit to Corfu! My American friend liked it second-best of everything she saw on her cruise, after Ephesus.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

Smart30.

Thankyou very much indeed for taking the time out to post this very informative info... I have printed it out and will take it on our cruise for reference.

Once again... Kind Regards.

Bob & Chris.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

You're very welcome, Bob & Chris.

Hope you have a very enjoyable cruise and a wonderful day on Corfu.

D C
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

If you want to go to somewhere picture-postcard beautiful and would like a lovely lunch suggest driving up the east cost towards Kassiopi. First of all enjoy the views of Albania across the channel then decide where you would like to eat. After 35 - 40 minutes drive you will find a number of lovely places off the main road down in the coast including: Agni (three tavernas all on the beach, we prefer the middle one Toula's), Kouloura (horseshoe shaped harbour, one excellent fish taverna), Agios Stephanos Sinies (a slightly larger village with a selection of waterside tavernas - we like the first one Eucalyptus, best), Avlaki (beautiful stretch of beach, Cavo Barbaro taverna). See Tripadvisor for reviews of the tavernas and Google Earth/Maps for their locations. You will find beaches along this coast too, but they are pebbly - the advantages of which are crystal clear water and great snorkelling.

9. Re: Must sees for one day Corfu with Rental Car Hire ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Corfu Town
Recent Conversations