We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

I booked a rental villa through Shawn Marco Spencer in October 17 via Trip adviser website. In January i paid full amount in advance of dead line for payment. I then spent 1 month sending emails back & fourth requesting joining instructions on how to find the property/ keys to enter. I had to make several calls (7) to Trip Adviser because Shawn Marco Spencer, just did not reply to me.

Eventually I did receive a reply after Trip Adviser sent him a warning of breech of contract. He gave me an address but no info on where to find keys, a further 2 weeks of emails with little reply meant I began to worry, I like to prepare in good time as I was working right up until the day of our holiday. Just short of 26 hours prior to day of departure Shawn Marco Spencer emailed me to advise the villa was now cancelled with an excuse, the villa owner no longer wish to rent it out. I was offered an alternative which was no where near the same quality as I had booked, after making my thoughts know he offered a good will gesture £50. back, I originally booked 3 bed detached with heated pool/sauna/Jacuzzi His offer was 2 bed apartment communal pool

un-heated. Of course i refused, and spent the next 24 hours worried I was going to Tenerife without any accommodation, needless to say I eventually found an alternative having not gone to bed and only having accommodation confirmed whilst we checked in for our flight at GATWICK. Holiday was ruined, it took 3 days to calm back down with the stress & anxiety this caused. Trip advisor did a good job assisting me once I managed to speak with a MANAGER post 9 calls to them some in excess of 1 hour on/off hold. I have since googled under images the picture of Mr Shawn Marco Spencer which is on his site, and how strange the image matches that of a different man who lives in New Zealand. whilst in Tenerife having hired a car we decided to go and see the original villa, and yes you may have guessed it, we couldn't find it. I cannot say for sure that it doesnt exist only Shawn Marco Spencer gave me a villa name / road/area of villas were numbered not named, and none in the street resembled the one I had booked. I emailed him via another email address, pretending to be interested in another property, he asked me to make payment via trip advisor, albeit I requested to view property first prior to payment. after several requests Shawn Marco Spencer replied i cannot see in advance him because he was in Italy again how strange he was there until the day after I leave Tenerife. So I requested to meet his colleague Ivan, but that was the last I have ever heard from Shawn Marco Spencer.

It is my belief, that this guy may not be trading under his real name, he may very well have a lot of villa's but his scam is to cancel you at last minute and offer you alternative a lot cheaper property, with a little discount which makes him a better profit all above board using Trip advisor & Air B&b. and Holiday Lettings. My advice do not book with this guy, just see how many reviews others have had in similar situation to me, some didn't find out until they arrived in Tenerife then had to settle for his alternative. If you have had similar issues like this add to this forum so others don't get ripped off.

21 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

how did you pay Mr Spencer?

north west england
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
544 reviews
2. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

This seems to be a new variant on the accommodation scam. As payment seems to be through Tripadvisor, it's not that the guy is doing a runner with all the money. What he's doing is, seemingly, advertising fake properties and then, at the last minute, saying that they are no longer available and offering something real, but much worse quality at almost the same price.

The fact that the OP has established that the guy's photo isn't genuine and that the originally booked property does not seem to exist is a dead giveaway that there's definitely deception going on.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Whilst the internet offers many advantages when booking accommodation independently, sadly, it has also provided an excellent platform for scam merchants and the like, evil people that they are. Retribution?.......nigh on impossible it seems, and this guy with the fancy pen name is operating very cleverly at the moment. I really think Trip Advisor should take immediate steps to remove these people from their site, once clearly identified as rogue traders. So sad for everyone who gets caught out and I sincerely hope these criminals get their comeuppance one day. ☹️☹️

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Fortunately I booked through Trip Ad visor, so i never lost any money. My belief is the scam is he cancels last minute & unless people complain TA do not get to hear about it, because he offers alternative accommodation which he gives a little back, but the accommodation he gives you can find a lot cheaper by booking direct. Therefore he pockets the difference.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Yes this is my true belief, and to ensure its a scam they will not meet you. so you cannot identify them. I was in Tenerife having been scammed already by a different company, so I was not willing to let this one go. When I advised I was in Tenerife, he suddenly in Italy and when I request to meet his colleague Ivan, no further emails took place. TA are investigating as I have reviewed all properties he advertises including those on Air B&B I am not the only person to have been treated in this way. Dont let it be you Avoid this guy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Yes this is my true belief, and to ensure its a scam they will not meet you. so you cannot identify them. I was in Tenerife having been scammed already by a different company, so I was not willing to let this one go. When I advised I was in Tenerife, he suddenly in Italy and when I request to meet his colleague Ivan, no further emails took place. TA are investigating as I have reviewed all properties he advertises including those on Air B&B I am not the only person to have been treated in this way. Dont let it be you Avoid this guy.

Northumberland...
2 posts
7. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

We had a very similar experience with this same man. 2 days before we were due to fly he said the villa was unavailable and offered us a rubbish property. I think what saved us was we had booked our own transfers. Had we of accepted his transfer I’m sure he would of took us directly to the inferior villa. I booked through house trip who were useless and it took 24 hours of battling to get our money back. I booked another villa through booking . Com and when I got a message from the villa owner it was the same man!! And what a surprise he offered me an inferior villa and the villa I booked wasn’t available. Booking . Com were extremely helpful. I dont believe this man owns any of the villas he advertises just the rubbish villa he offers you last minute. Fortunately for us it was March so we found alternative accommodation but had it been peak season it would of been a struggle and been left with his inferior villa which was advertise at a third of the cost we had paid for the original, no refund of the difference offered by him which to me is theft. The stress this caused hours before we were due to fly was awful. I can’t believe this man is still allowed to advertise on these sites. He’s a con man

Edited: 05 April 2018, 16:08
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

So the same thing appears to be happening to me - he swapped my property on trip advisor to a property that was on air bnb - he kept the booking on here though and has just cancelled and is now trying to make me pay more than originally agreed. or trying to make me book through some weird website by bank transfer!!!!

north west england
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
544 reviews
9. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Lauren

Whatever you do, do NOT pay by bank transfer. You have no comeback if he does a runner with your money. This man is clearly a scammer and cannot be trusted.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!

Part of villa renting is to establish a good communication stream with the owner prior to renting. Find out everything you want to know about the villa and the area. This can be quite a lengthy email chain until you are happy it's the right one and you are happy with the terms etc. Any owner who doesn't reply to any message within 24 hours should be discounted immediately.

I don't know if this happened in these cases (he may just go 'rogue' once he gets the money), but I'm not a big believer in just clicking and booking without this relationship. And I do find that the info on villas on Homeaway website is far more comprehensive than TA or AirBnB, as a general rule

Reply to: Tenerife Villa Rental Shawn Marco Spencer is he real!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje