We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies - word of warning

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Mozzies - word of warning

Just a reminder to anyone coming out soon, bring your mozzie repellent. Been going to PDC for years and never get bitten but am covered in bites despite applying repellant religiously every night. So if you are prone to mozzie bites make sure you have some stuff with you.

64 replies to this topic
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Thanks for the heads up , was there last year , admittedly in October , no bites , and was there for a good while

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
108 reviews
2. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Any product with Deet is best. I don't get bitten but my other half is usually feasted upon mercilessly.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
259 reviews
3. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

I use Citronella Oil on my pulse points every day and a spray of Jungle Formula.

I gave both to a friend who was out there last week and they escaped getting bitten.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,786 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

I always get bitten unless I'm covered with repellent. I buy Goibi from the farmacia. It's the only one I've found that works for me. I've tried all the usual Skin so Soft, garlic, Vit B, lavender, citronella etc etc etc and none of them work. Also the repellents from the UK don't work so well either, for some reason.

London
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Avoidance is best....close the windows from early evening and don't sit outside late in shorts and t-shirt !

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Usually go to Turkey several times a year but trying Lanzarote for the first time later this month 😊.

Just use the cheap lemon cologne they sell in Turkey usually and never get bitten, don’t know if that’s because they spray everywhere also though? Know mossies don’t like citrus so i’ll take a chance by taking some of that 🤞🏻.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Grrrrr....they realise desert is arriving end of next week! Will be armed with repellent but will never wear long sleeves/trousers/jeans

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

CarrigGirl, i had to put this up:

'Citronella oil is used to expel worms or other parasites from the intestines. It is also used to control muscle spasms, increase appetite, and increase urine production (as a diuretic) to relieve fluid retention. Some people apply citronella oil directly to the skin to keep mosquitoes and other insects away.

However, some people are allergic to citronella oils so it is not recommended for everyone to use this oil on the skin.'

Useful for many things, eh

Edited: 02 October 2018, 15:13
London
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Not suggesting you wrap up for winter bosspat, but the only time I got bitten in August was when was sat outside after 10pm in shorts and t shirt!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Mozzies - word of warning

Agree with Accountant , luckily I don’t get bit often , but the times I do are usually in the evening , and mostly in a pub

Reply to: Mozzies - word of warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted