We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teramo as a base

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Teramo as a base

Hi

Looking at travelling, sight seeing Penne, Teramo, Civitella Del Tronto and then moving on to Urbino and San Marino before travelling to Perugia.

Has anyone done this type of trip before? I am thinking we will drive from our base in Artena, stay Teramo 2 nights, using it as a mini-base to sight see Penne, Civitella del Tronto and local area.

Has anyone stayed this area before, any tips? Is Teramo a good place to stay or are we better staying at another town nearby?

There are 5 of us and we are travelling from our main base in Artena.which is about 2.5 hours, just south of Rome.

I am thinking that using towns around the region as mini-bases to see the area within 1-1.5 hours around it instead of staying at a different town each night will be easier, less unsettling and maybe cheaper than paying for single nights.

The other place we are looking at staying is San Marino, San Marino for 2 nights and use this to see Urbino and perhaps Rimini.

Oh, we are travelling early to mid January 2014, so have some time, and it will be winter, so presumably quieter than summer time.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

James

15 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi

Why not drive from Pescara. Being a larger city you may have better luck finding a better deal for a hire car there and drive from Pescara down through the mountains and valleys, can visit some of the less travelled and visited little towns on the way.

I have found that it is easier (logically) to find a hire car in larger towns, better deals and options also.

Anyhow, just a thought.

James

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
391 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Teramo as a base

Hello Kathleen. There is one international car rental firm in Teramo, Europcar. The office is opposite the railway station on Via Giacinto Pannella. You can book online at www.europcar.it and in English.

Many guests of ours have used them since they opened last year and they have said the service has been excellent. Many have taken the direct express coach from Fiumicino and Ciampino airports or Rome Tiburtina to Teramo and collected their car from there, rather than driving from Rome, which some people find daunting. The bus station is about 1km from the car rental office.

Hope this helps.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi can you please help, I am travelling to Rome and hope to go to the Mountain of Flowers to see where my late cousins ashes are, I am using Rome as a base and was thinking of staying in a B and B overnight at Teramo, I am travelling alone and feel a bit daunted but have been asked by my 92yr old uncle to make this journey. Has anyone any information on bus travel from Teramo to the mountain or hotel, B and B accommodation. Thanks in advance, regards Constance. I am travelling on 28 Feb for 1 week.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Teramo as a base

We have just returned from Ascoli Piceno where we spent a week in a wonderful B and B. It is a truly amazing area. We hired a car South if Rome and drove via the A24 and all over the country side, we also drove through Tuscany and stayed in San Gimignano for a week. Did about 2500 km all up. I am from Australia and drive on the LHS of the road and I was a bit worried about driving in Italy on the other side. I did however manage and after the first few km it was not that difficult.

Not sure but I believe there is a bus from Rome to the Adriatic region.

As for the mountains, I guess you mean those in the region such as in the parks I.e. Gran Sasso? These are a bit of a drive from the main towns and you may need a car to get there.

Also, be aware that there is a change of snow up in the mountains, especially in February. There is definitely some there now!

Good luck in your travels.

James

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Teramo as a base

Thank you so much for your help, yes I am preparing for the snow, regards constance

Reply to: Teramo as a base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Teramo