We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teramo as a base

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Teramo as a base

Hi

Looking at travelling, sight seeing Penne, Teramo, Civitella Del Tronto and then moving on to Urbino and San Marino before travelling to Perugia.

Has anyone done this type of trip before? I am thinking we will drive from our base in Artena, stay Teramo 2 nights, using it as a mini-base to sight see Penne, Civitella del Tronto and local area.

Has anyone stayed this area before, any tips? Is Teramo a good place to stay or are we better staying at another town nearby?

There are 5 of us and we are travelling from our main base in Artena.which is about 2.5 hours, just south of Rome.

I am thinking that using towns around the region as mini-bases to see the area within 1-1.5 hours around it instead of staying at a different town each night will be easier, less unsettling and maybe cheaper than paying for single nights.

The other place we are looking at staying is San Marino, San Marino for 2 nights and use this to see Urbino and perhaps Rimini.

Oh, we are travelling early to mid January 2014, so have some time, and it will be winter, so presumably quieter than summer time.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

James

15 replies to this topic
Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
403 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi James. Of course we are biased, as we live here, but we'd say that Teramo is a great base to explore this region, although as it is January you are considering, the weather will play a huge part in what you are able to see and do. Weather conditions vary enormously in the winter months.... anything from huge amounts of snow to relatively warm and sunny days.

You'll have a wide choice of places to visit within an hour, to an hour and a half. In addition to Teramo itself and Civitella del Tronto which you already mentioned, we suggest the following, although once again it depends whether we have snow our not.

1. Close to Civitella is a lovely town called Campli and beyond Civitella, Ascoli Piceno (although this is just in the next region of Le Marche).

2. The mountains of the Gran Sasso. Either go up to Prati di Tivo and Pietracamela on the Teramo side or through the Gran Sasso tunnel and up to Assergi. Both are great and under an hour from Teramo

3. L'Aquila. Devasted by the earthquake in 2009, but still worth a visit and plenty to see. Only 50 minutes

4. Castella. The home of the Majolica ceramic production

5. Plenty of vineyards and olive oil producers, cheese and salami makers and of course the food!

6. Campo Imperatore and the villages thereof.

7. The coast of the Adriatic is well worth a visit, even in winter!

The list could go on and on, but these are a few of the favourite places of the people that have stayed with us.

We hope this gives you a flavour of things. Also, if you search Teramo in the Trip Advisor Forum, it should come up with other posts, probably from us!

Happy planning!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teramo as a base

Thank you for the information.

We will travelling by car from Artena, South of Rome, so we will pass through L'Aquilla and Assergi, so we will definitely make these two places a stop over, one for lunch I guess.

Just need to find a decent place to stay in Teramo for 4 people!

We will spend a day travelling to Civitella, and stop via Campli and Ascoli, once again a day trip with a lunch stop over.

This will be in mid January, is there likely to be problems with the roads? Ice? Snow? through these areas???

We will be travelling on the A24/25 between, are there any other places worthwhile visiting through this region that are along or just off this route? I noticed there are many tunnels through this road!

Thank you for your help with information.

James

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
403 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi James. Good to hear that your plans are coming together.

In answer to the question about snow and ice in mind January, I'd say there is a high chance of encountering both, especially as you enter the mountainous region into Abruzzo from Lazio. I am sure that you already know, but snow chains are compulsory to have in a car on the A24 and many other state roads in this area. Make sure your car hire company make these available for you, although the cost to hire for a long period might be higher than actually buying a set. Same goes for GPS.

There are a number of places you could choose to stay in Teramo, but it depends on your requirements. B&B, hotel, agriturismo....and your budget of course.

I'd also recommend a stop at Villa Adriana at Tivoli. You also mentioned that you'd be taking the A25, although this is quite a diversion as your destination point is Teramo and I'm not sure that you'd be able to do all this in one day, especially if the weather is bad.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you need it.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi SpiderPoop, you itinerary is very interesting and we drove already in part s of those stretches.

If there will be scarse snowfalls, it will be definitely veeery very cold, easily 10 below the zero around Penne.

The hotel Zunica in Civitella del Tronto appears to us as one of the best options to stay near Teramo.

Wouldn't stay in San Marino or Rimini in January but most likely in Sant'Arcangelo di Romagna where you could choose one or two apartments at the Residenza I Platani on daily bases.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teramo as a base

I have looked at zunica. It is full booked. What other hotels or apartments are there in the area that would be good for 3 adults and a child 10 yrs?

Thanks

James

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
403 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teramo as a base

Having lived here for 5 years I wouldn't say that snow is scarce. Last year we had 3 metres of the stuff fall over the course of a week and even a metre on the beach. Above 500 metres there is normally snow cover from December through to March, with January and February being the most likely months for heavy snow.

It's surprising to hear that Zunica is completely full in January as it's a reasonably large hotel. Did you email or call them to double check? In Teramo there are a number of reasonable hotels, although more geared to business visitors. There are also one or two 2 B&B's in Teramo that are also nice, which might be worth checking out. Happy to give you our personal view on these places by private message if you wish.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi James, if you would like to experience staying in a winery agriturismo, could contact

www.emidiopepe.com

Hi Grande Quercia. I'm updated about the extremely heavy snowfalls of the last 2 winters.

But the weather is becoming more volatile and unpredictable. that's why i've used the preposition IF.

Keep going promoting your beautiful region.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teramo as a base

Thank you all for the updates and information.

I will check Zunica directly.

So if there is so much snow, is the area accessible from Rome when there is a lot of snow?

Not much point trying to arrange accommodation there if we cant get there I guess. We may have to drop that part of our trip, though I was looking forwards to seeing a less touristy part of Italy that I have never seen before.

No problems putting chains on the car I guess, however not sure I want to be driving at 30-40 km per hour on a windy and slippery road for hours on end to get there!!

Is there a way across that is normally clear and a better option in early/mid January?

I was thinking that we would definitely need to book accommodation, however if it is quiet would it be possible to book a few days before travelling there from Artena? That way we could only book if access is possible??

Thanks again

James

Thanks

James

EHT, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teramo as a base

Hi Grande Quercia,

We will be traveling from Rome to Pescara in May of 2014. We plan to stay there for a few days and then take a bus or train to Teramo with the intention of staying at the Hotel Zunica in Civitella del Tronto. I'm looking to rent a car to explore that area but I'm not finding any car rental agencies in Teramo, Any suggestiions? Thank you very much,

Kathleen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teramo as a base

OK, plans are coming together well.

Thanks you to the many kind people on Trip Advisor who have helped us to make decisions based on local knowledge and past experiences.

We have found that Zunica is not open during the period we are there. However we found a nice little place right in the middle of Ascoli Piceno, a little further North, for a very decent price. It is called La Culla dei Sabini B&B. Looks very tidy and modern and should suit us perfectly. Parking is not far away also.

Staying in Ascoli will place us within 30 minutes of Civitella, around 60 minutes to Campli and Teramo and a little further south will get us easily to Penne (a place I am really looking forward to visiting). I have cut back our itinery for this area a little as I don't want to be rushing around and not enjoy the sights and experiences.

We can also spend some time relaxing in Ascoli and visit sites like the temple/cave and also the site of the execution of Sant'Emidio, which I find fascinating and would love to share with my daughter, and teach her about this great Pagan - Christian story and show here the sites related to it.

We are planning on hiring a car over at Collefero, south of Artena, where we are based, or somewhere local to this area. We will travel on the A24/25? Via L'Aquilla (lunch stop over). There is video footage of this trip across the mountains over to Teramo, on you tube if you are interested in seeing what the trip is like.

James

Reply to: Teramo as a base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Teramo