We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
112 reviews
Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

Hi everyone, this is a very important question as I am searching for an old shop in Komtar which sells satay. I use to visit this shop often as a kid about 20 years ago and it sells the best satay ever. Haven't been there for more than 10 years since the condition of komtar got worse and worse and many other malls emerged.

I tried to google it and the last review I found is on 2012. The blogger also mentioned that the shop's name is Satay Hut. Wondering what happen to it after 2012? Does it manage to survive the deterioration of Komtar?

Was hoping to find some help from locals who are familiar with Komtar and revisit this place again as it is part of my childhood memory. Been studying and working abroad and outstation and just recently returned to Penang.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

There is a satay hut at Midland mall (just google it)

Not bad but a little westernised (price and presentation wise) for my liking

Not much good food in and around Komtar but we live in hope

Was down at the food court near Fort Cornwallis today. Wonderful location but yet to hit it as a destination

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

Thanks for your information, went to the satay hut in Midlands Mall, the food still taste good. The staff there told me that satay hut in Komtar had probably closed down.

Sometimes its not about the taste of the food, it's about the memory we had of the place. Komtar and Midlands Mall are our childhood, too bad they are now in sorry state.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

Yes, you have to wonder just how long Midlands can carry on for with virtually everything above the ground floor closed. But that's Penang for you and Island Plaza also went the same way once Metrojaya pulled out.

4. Re: Searching for old satay shop in Komtar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island