We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang to Cameron Highlands

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Penang to Cameron Highlands

Hi everyone

Any advice on how best to do Cameron Highlands as a day trip from Penang? My understanding is that its a couple of hours away.

Is it possible to do by public transport or best as a tour? (if tour, any recommendations of which company to use & rough price would be useful)

Thank you

Itik

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

ITIK,

Sorry I can't give you a price. It takes around 3/4 hours to get there from Penang. There are loads of agents to arrange the trip with on Penang.

Its to far to arrange by public transport, it can be done but you will need to spend a night in CH.

Worth doing if you are not on a package trip to Malaysia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

Ang ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

What about hiring a car? Probably worth staying overnight. You would want to leave very early in the morning.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

Well considering taking about 2 to 3 hours to reach Cameron from Penang n its one of those few places in Malaysia with cool climate n western type architecture,it s worth considering staying overnite.Most pf the travel agents have overnite stay some have day trip.local agents like PST Travel at Burma Road,Forever tours,ACE tours at Komtar,Ken tour at Macalister have tours made for u.If u like a personal tour guide they can also arrange for u though.Other way is u may consider hiring a car n drive up there the new road is quite easy to drive n u can stay overnite at Smoke house,Strawberry park,Equatorial or Heritage.Its up to u.Over there u dont really need to join tour group or have a tour guide as all places of attractions r available on th e map n there r easy signages.If not just ask around most can direct u easily to yr destinations.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

If you are coming from Penang via the highway, You will exit SIMPANG PULAI (3 hours) just before ipoh. From Simpang Pulai, you need to ascend the road up to Cameron Highlands (1.5 hours to get to Brinchang). All together 4.5 - 5 hours depending on where you are coming from in Penang and how jammed up our beautiful Penang Bridge is ... (then calculate 6 hours) muahahaha. Think its best to stay overnight there. You can rent a car from Penang and go around CH since its more convinient.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

I stay somewhere near Prai in the mainland n it usually takes me less than 3 hours to reach sometimes earlier usually.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

3 Hours to reach the top of Cameron Highlands?? Are you speeding ?! The Highway from before the tunnel all the way down to Toll Plaza Jelapang has 80km/h speed limit.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

No im not speeding,i dont go above 110km/hr on most stretch but usually i start my journey early at 6 am n reach for breakfast at my friend s house in Brinchang.Nice cottage house there .

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

Haha, ok, was just joking. Normally no speed trap at 6am, only beware after lunchtime when traveling after the tunnel, those people are very bored and full after lunch so they'll stand there, except on Fridays of course ;)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang to Cameron Highlands

Just made a trip there 2 mths back.but just to escape from the hot weather here n its ther nearest place to go unless to Langkawi or Phuket. or Haadyai.

Get answers to your questions about Penang Island