We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang to KL

Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Penang to KL

Other than flight what's the best way and fastest way to travel from penang to KL

10 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Penang to KL

Depends on your definition of “best”. Train is about 4 hours, but freezing cold. Bus is about 5 hours plus depending on traffic.

Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Penang to KL

Thanks paperstonescissors... is the journey by bus a bumpy ride... And do they have luxurious buses on that line

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Penang to KL

You're in the motorway almost all the way. Have a look at the pictures on the Aeroline website. They're one of the good buses to travel with.

https://www.aeroline.com.my

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Penang to KL

If possible , I would fly as it is much quicker and Air Asia has pretty cheap deals to and from KL.

Cheers

Sean

Edited: 12 June 2018, 13:11
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
209 reviews
5. Re: Penang to KL

It's a difficult balancing act trying to decide which is best. The buses and trains go into KL whereas Air Asia goes to KLIA2 with a further journey into the city centre. If you're not catching another flight home then Malindo or Firefly to Subang would be another choice. If you're in George Town allow 30-60 minutes to get to the airport, then 1 hour at the airport, then a 50 minute flight and then perhaps an hour to get to your hotel. You start to see why some people prefer the bus or train - less messing about and hanging around.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Penang to KL

Ha ha , it is the six foot three in me speaking, PSS. Although there is travel involved to and from airport etc, I can walk around for longer than I can on a cramped bus.

Cheers

Sean

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Penang to KL

Having done the trip by all options, I think it comes down to personal choice.

1. Train is possible, but slow and not that frequent.

2. Road (bus) almost 'door to door', but depends on the departure (where in Penang) and arrival points (where in KL). Traffic hold ups could be an issue - especially if there is a holiday.

3. Flights: Are you planning on staying in KL or just getting a flight to some where else? Either way, you need to consider the time it takes to and from airports (covered above).

The factors to consider are convenience, travel time and costs.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
209 reviews
8. Re: Penang to KL

esorlegin, I'm guessing it's been quite a few years since you've last thought about the train. It's no longer the slow train that you probably remember as it now takes about 4 .5 hours. There are 5 a day.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
951 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Penang to KL

The best way to travel from Penang to KL will always by Bus in term on convenient and value for money. It will take you around 5 hrs to reach KL central (unless you go on festive season or holiday..then estimate 7-8 hrs). Just make sure you take the reputable bus company from Penang. For example : NIce, Aeroline, Gunung Raya, Consortium etc.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Penang to KL

Thanks PSP - last time I used the train was about 10 (?) years ago - maybe a bit less.

Reply to: Penang to KL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island