We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkey beach

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
776 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Monkey beach

Will be arriving on Friday for a week and am potentially considering a trip to the national park and monkey beach. Can I get a boat to the beach and then trek back through the national park. Don't want to join a tour as they don't look like good value. I have also seen on you tube clips that the beach has huts which looks like the may sell drinks etc. Have I seen right?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkey beach

were there just last January .. and not worth the trip

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,303 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkey beach

You can take a boat in either direction. Many people walk in and take a boat back but there are always boats available so you can do it either way. You will have to negotiate a price for a boat. Often there are several stalls at the entrance so just enquire from each about prices.

Yes, there are now shacks that sell drinks, and you can also get some basic snacks. Last time I was there the beach was lined with jellyfish. A friend who went another time dived into the sea and hit his head on a jellyfish. It took three months for the scarring from the skin burns to start to fade, so don't be fooled into thinking it's a good place to swim from. Also beware of the monkeys. They know that tourists = food and can be quite vicious.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkey beach

Hi Paperstonescissors

When you say jellyfish do you mean box jellyfish? If yes is there a specific season like in Queensland?

Regards

Suzi

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,303 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monkey beach

No idea what sort of jellyfish they are, but they do have a nasty sting as my friend found out. You'll see them along the waters edge if you want a closer look. Plus they are all year round now.

PSS

North West England
Level Contributor
105 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monkey beach

We did the walk in and boat back via Monkey Beach trip a couple of years ago and the whole trip was most enjoyable. Monkey beach was particularly pleasant in that it as near as one can get to an unspoilt tropical beach. Rather lacking in amenities but it's not BF! The monkeys did look a little intimidating but didn't actually bother us at all. Enjoy your trip.

Colac, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monkey beach

I wouldn't bother with Monkey Island, It has been trashed from what I can gather people like the above poster say unspoilt but when I went there, there was lots of rubbish strewn all over the place along with the jet skis and 4 wheel bikes making it anything but relaxing

United States
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monkey beach

If you want a nice walking workout, then go for it. But...

There is nothing special about Monkey beach. The beach water is gross. There is a lot of trash behind those little huts. When you do use the boats, the life-saving vests stink to high heaven. There is nothing special about this place, don't waste your time and money.

Teriang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monkey beach

Can I know how much does it cost to take boat from monkey beach back to the national park for 2 person ?

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
997 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monkey beach

How is the trail to the Turtle Sanctauary? Is it worth making the trek?

Reply to: Monkey beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted