We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

seattle,WA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

Hello,

I plan to go to Delhi in Feb 2010 and would like to visit Somnath temple and Dwarka temple. I would like to know how to plan my iternary from Delhi to Somnath and Dwarka temple and then go to Aurangabad.

Also, recommendations on good (3 or 4 star) places to stay and eat would be great.

thanks!

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

If your tickets are not booked it would make better sense to arrive at Mumbai instead of Delhi.Aurangabad has a direct flight from Mumbai.For Somnath and Dwarka you can fly to Rajkot from Mumbai or alternately take the Saurashtra Mail train from Mumbai.

seattle,WA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

Thanks but my tickets are booked upto Delhi. How about if I fly from Delhi to Ahmedabad? How do I get from Ahmedabad to Dwarka and Somnath ? What is the distance? Is it feasible if I rent a cab? Thanks!

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

You are better off flying into Rajkot. If you fly to Ahmedabad and drive you will have to drive through Rajkot to get to either place. It is certainly doable. The Ahmedabad to Somnath is a liesurely 6 hour drive on very good roads amd the coastal highway up to Dwarka from there is good as well as scenic. How much time are you allocating for this trip?

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

Delhi to Rajkot there are no direct flights.All flights are via Mumbai.If you do not wish to go to Mumbai, catch a flight to Ahemdabad from Delhi and rent a cab from there to take you to Somnath - Dwarka -Beyt Dwarka and return.If you do not wish to take a cab Rajkot is very well connected from Ahemdabad by trains as well as buses.Saurashtra Mail (departure from Ahemdabad at 6AM) is a direct train to Dwarka.Maybe you can do a bit of local sightseeing in Ahemdabad for 1 day and catch the next day train to Dwarka.Private cabs are easily available at INR 5/- to 10/- Rs. per km. depending on type of vehicle.How many days do you intend to spend at these places, is the key question?Accordingly your tour can be organized.

seattle,WA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

Thanks for your detailed reply. Looks like cab will be the best option.

Reco on place to stay and places for siteseeing will be great.

Plan is to stay one nite in Ahmedabad. What are the key places of siteseeing there other than Akshardham that we plan to visit?

One nite stay in Dwarka. next day Somnath. One more nite on the return jouney to Aurangabad by cab.

Thanks again.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

I think my blog may be of some interest to you, it has some insights on Ahmedabad's sightseeing opportunities, as well as photos of several places including Dwarka.

http://www.goneindia.com/india-2009-blog.html

For taxi hire I highly reccommend

Vikram Dhoot

Tel 079-30523590

welcomegujarat@gmail.com

We used this guy for a recent 22 day trip around Gujarat, brand new Tata Indigo with AC for 7.5 Rps per kilometer

seattle,WA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

thanks!

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

The blog by CH lists the places to visit in Ahemdabad.Akshardham is not in Ahemdabad, but in Gandhinagar which is a short distance away and is the capital of Gujarat.In one day covering everything will be hectic, maybe you can take your choice and choose among the places.Enroute to Dwarka if you opt to go by cab there is a place called Wakaner,just before Rajkot it has a heritage palace called Wakaner Palace which is now a hotel.You could stop there for a short time.Dwarka, Beyt Dwarka will take one full day.You could take a slight detour to Charakhla Wildlife Sancturay as this is the right time for migratory birds.While going from Dwarka to Somnath, Junagarh is enroute and has a lot to offer alongwith the Gir National Park - home of the Asiatic Lion.If you are more inclined towards temples do visit Dehotsar near Somnath, which is the place where Lord Krishna(a Hindu God)gave up his life.Aurangabad which you talk about I presume, is in Maharashtra which is very far from Somnath.The right thing to do would be Ahemdabad - Dwarka - Somnath -Rajkot.Catch the flight to Mumbai from Rajkot and the flight to Aurangabad from Mumbai.

seattle,WA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

Thanks a ton!

Bharuch
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dwarka and Somnath temple visit

To reach Somnath and Dwarka, you have to reach Rajkot by flight from Mumbai.(Flight from Delhi to Rajkot may not be available.)From Rajkot travel by taxi to Dwarka via Porbandar.

On return come back to Porbandar and from there go to Somnath via Madhavpur.This is a shorter route.

From Somnath go back to Rajkot.

Check if Delhi Porbandar flight is there, then it will be more convinient for you.

Both Dwarka and Somnath are worth visiting holy place.Do not forget to visit to Mahatam gandhi's birth place KIRTI MANDIR in Porbandar.