We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary 8 days camping route

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
itinerary 8 days camping route

Dear all,

In July, I will be traveling for 9 days from Calgary to Edmonton.

We are planning to camp for 8 days in Banff and Jasper national parks.

Can anybody suggest and itinerary for those days or some campings to stay?

Thank you very much!

Zoe

8 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
985 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

tent camping? rv campig? if rv...do you need power and water?

if i understand correctly...you are leaving calgary and 9 days later, you want to be ini edmonton. correct?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

https:/…camping

Assuming you are tent camping. Or Car Camping? Are you renting a car from Calgary? Do you know how to store and deal with your food to prevent bear encounters?

Will you have good quality sleeping bags? It gets pretty cool at nights?

Where are you coming from? It helps us to give you the best advise.

Do you need an ETA to fly into Canada? A Visa?

Since 2016 Canada has required visitors from Visa exempt countries to apply for and obtain an ETA. (Electronic Travel Authorization). This is not a visa, but only permission to fly to Canada. Without an ETA you will not be allowed to board the aircraft.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 19:03
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,928 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

the dates of your stay can make a difference as the week of July 1-4 will be busier and so will weekends

at this stage you are looking at first come first serve so when you get to Banff there is a visitor centre on Banff avenue that could fill you in on what is available and activities that might be easier then others.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

How do we apply for the ETA?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

You don’t need an ETA if you’re from the USA.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

Sorry Gene30. I guess I wasn’t clear. Visitors from the USA only need a passport or Nexus card

visitorstocanada.com/requirements-americans-…

Visitors from overseas, who hold passports from visa exempt countries require an ETA to fly into Canada. If they cross by land they do not need it. ( if visiting the US by air they would need an ESTA)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

As has been indicated, you are leaving it extremely late to plan for a July trip to the Rockies, camping or not. Campground reservations have been open since as far back as January, with full service spots (for RVs) being almost all snapped up within the first day.

If you are tent-camping or have a smaller RV (under 26 ft), first-come, first-serve spot are probably your best bet, at least during the week. For weekends and the holiday week, I would want to have a campsite booked. You can book online and it's a very good to do so for any weekends, otherwise you could find yourself having to travel outside the parks to find an available spot.

But first, we need more details - i.e. the kind of camping, the amenities you need/want, your dates. And I would suggest getting online ASAP to assess availability when you are coming - and see if you can book for and weekend/holiday dates.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,216 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: itinerary 8 days camping route

There is no private camping in the national parks. ALL campsites are operated by Parks Canada.

It would be unwise not to book ahead, although there is some First Come First Served camping outside of the townsites (but as most people want to be close to the services and amenities in the towns, that can also be difficult)

Reply to: itinerary 8 days camping route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted