We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions, please!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions, please!

My in-laws moved to Englewood a few years ago. Each fall my husband and I visit Florida for a week. We spend 3-4 nights with my in-laws in Englewood then 3-4 nights someplace else. One year we went to Siesta Key and another year it was Sanibel (which I LOVE!). I'm seeking suggestions for someplace new to go. Preferably within a few hours drive from Englewood. Must be on the beach and have close restaurants/bars. It will be just my husband and me so it doesn't need to be "kid friendly". TIA!!!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions, please!

I live on and love Ft. Myers Beach but at this time we are experiencing red tide and ugly waters from discharge of Lake O. I would look north of Englewood .Sanibel is the same. Lee County is in a state of emergency where water is concerned. My honest opinion. Heard of LongBoat Key and Venice. Look on map for beaches north and search TA forum for those areas. Perhaps next year make it Ft. Myers Beach with a day trip to Sanibel.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions, please!

They arent going now, but in the Fall, so red tide will most probably not be a factor then?

I have a home nearby Englewood. When we take Staycations, we tend to do the same- ie within a few hours drive (although occasionally we head down to the Keys too).

Our last two were Captiva (fantastic ) and Anna Maria Island (great fun too). So have a look there?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions, please!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will take a look at these places. We are not traveling until the end of September. Do you think the red tide will be a problem then?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions, please!

Dont think it was last Sept, you really cant tell. It was all over the panhandle then I think?

Was fine when I spent Nov there this year.

Ohio
Level Contributor
762 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions, please!

Some of my favorite beaches are on Anna Maria Island. White sand, clear blue waters, small town laid back vibe, "old Florida" feel. It's not a party town but there are enough bars and restaurants for your stay and it's close enough to Longboat Key and Sarasota for shopping and additional dining and bar options.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions, please!

I will definitely check out Anna Maria Island! That pretty much sounds like what we are looking for.

How's St. Pete Beach?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions, please!

St Pete Beach is absolutely fine, but has large high rise hotel resorts- they arent packed in too tightly, and the beach is super wide.

But the larger the hotel, the more people it holds...........

New Jersey
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions, please!

teehan and amamx- do you have any recommendations on places to stay on Anna Maria Island? I want to be right on or very near the beach. Are there places to stay that are close to restaurants/bars? Within walking distance? That was the only thing I did not like about Sanibel!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions, please!

Lido Key/ St Armands Cirvle..former with beach, walk to latter with tons of restaurants

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions, please!

The bradenton beach area has to most to walk to, but there is a free trolley to get elsewhere.

Ask about accommodations on t he local forums, and state beachfront, no of nights and budget.

Edited: 11 February 2016, 01:04