We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where IN S.W. Florida?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Where IN S.W. Florida?

Happy Holidays, All!

My wife and I are planning a trip to SW Florida next summer. We'll be looking to rent a condo or beach house as opposed to a hotel room. I've been to Sanibel Island many years ago, but this will be my wife's first trip to the area. In your opinion, can we beat Sanibel? How about Ft. Meyers Beach, Marco Island or Naples? The beach is our thing, so any opinions are greatly appreciated!

John

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
1. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

All those places are good ... pick whichever fits your budget.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Hey, John...nice to be able to spend the chilly winter evenings planning a summer trip to SW Florida! I noticed you listed some possibilities for consideration in addition to Sanibel...then asked, "can we beat Sanibel"? Probably not if your positive memories were of limited development, no buildings higher than 4 stories, bike paths to "everywhere", shells galore and an all around atmosphere of kicking back and moving into low gear. There are a number of attractions...most with a bit of a, "natural" theme...Wildlife Refuges, watersports, cycling, shopping, fishing, boating and shelling, of course! For many of us, Sanibel provides an opportunity to, "drop out" of our usual pace and just flow with island time. Still plenty to do and see there.

Marco Island has a beautiful, broad white sand beach...also a very nice place for a vacation. Very different vibe with impressive beachfront hotels and many lovely condos. Rental houses (most waterfront on the canals) will generally provide personal, screened in pools and boat docking. Many of these are within easy walking distance of the beach access points. Lots of interesting restaurants and shops on Marco as well as watersports and easy access to a number of Florida parks & attractions. It's also a short drive up to Naples for a day to check it out if so inclined. I understand Marco is also improving their bicycling pathways. Great place to vacation...all depends on personal preferences. Oh, and, you are not likely to find a beach HOUSE on Marco...that would be a rare find. There are some lovely waterfront cottage options back up on Sanibel, however.

When you have decided your priority, "must haves", let us know. Board visitors will probably provide useful information to help you decide which destination would be the best fit for your interests.

Edited: 23 December 2015, 05:05
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,150 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Good places for rentals on the beach include as well as the above, Anna Maria island, Siesta key, and Captiva

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
4. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Hey, Guys--

Thanks for some great suggestions! Basically, we want a place on a nice beach, small cottage or condo so we can cook our own meals. Area "attractions" are nice, but chillin' out is the real objective here. The last time I visited Sanibel was in 1993. I should note that our other objective is for possible relocation at some time.,

John

Florida
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Hi John, since I live in Florida I can go to any beach, I prefer Sanibel. My family and I have been coming to Sanibel for the past 6 years for a week each July.

We love it, we rent several condos, get groceries, cook our own meals, sit under an umbrella, drink adult beverages, watch the kids play, look for shells, just chill out.

I so look forward to my week in Sanibel each year, in my opinion if you want chill out Sanibel is the place.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
6. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Thank You, FloridaMollyMac! That's exactly what we'll be doing, and I'm inclined to believe Sanibel this time around is the best idea. Now, to find just the right condo or cottage!

John

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,150 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

If you want a house, I think the min term on Sanibel is one month. So you might have to go for a condo. Other places like AMI and Captiva you can rent by the week.

I would rent in several different areas to choose for the future. But for this time you can do day trips, maybe look at open houses?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

Jensens on the Beach on Captiva

http://www.gocaptiva.com/beach-resort.html

9. Re: Where IN S.W. Florida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2016, 10:48