We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Coast Exploration

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
167 reviews
Gulf Coast Exploration

Next week my husband and I will be in Bradenton for 2 weeks with a car. We are active seniors who love a great beach (i.e. Siesta Key, Holmes Beach), kayaking, snorkeling, nature, hiking, good restaurants, music, new experiences. I play tennis and walk our two dogs, who aren't coming with us. We are not boaters or golfers. We want to move to the Gulf coast in a year to a newer 3-bedroom single-family home a half-hour from the beach with a pool and some kind of water view. We like Bradenton but wonder if there are other places we should consider living from Tampa/Clearwater to Naples. Venice? Cape Coral? (1) Are there things we should know about living in various areas? Can you recommend specific areas or communities? (2) For sightseeing along the way, can you recommend places to visit, things to do, day trips from Bradenton although we could spend a night elsewhere? (I already have ideas for Sarasota.) Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,074 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Cape coral is more than 30 mins to a beach so leave that out. Port charlotte and North port could be longer than 30 unless you choose the parts of NP nearest to Venice or near River road.

Look at Englewood/rotonda- sleepy old world FL without a lot of chain restaurants and as little as 2-15 mins to a beach. Venice/Jacaranda could suit too. But with Jac do take care with beach timings re the access to either MK or Venice. Lots of newer homes off rt 41.

Newest houses in Naples and sarasota tend to be east of i75, but in sarasota's case that will still get you to the beach in 30, Naples maybe not. Lakewood ranch has a lot of new homes.

I'd look at new developments in Bradenton if you like AMI. And look at Bonita springs too.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Thanks so much for your great ideas. What is AMI?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,074 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Anna Maria island where Holmes beach (and 3 others) are located?

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
167 reviews
4. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Thanks.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Amanx probably thinks I'm sounding like a broken record, but this question comes up regularly. ----Bonita Springs

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,074 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

Hey, I mentioned it too lol

7. Re: Gulf Coast Exploration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2016, 10:48