We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

After much consideration we were ready to pull the trigger on a rental on MK but saw someone mention St. George. I was pleasantly surprised to see many really nice homes right on the beach at very affordable rates. Can someone point out any distinctive differences in the two places? We are most interested in quite, uncrowded, gorgeous beaches and clear, calm water with some nice restaurants nearby as we eat out every day on vacation. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St. George Island
St. George Island
Florida Panhandle, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

what time of year?

The houses in SGI might be cheap in their low season (winter) while ones on MK are high season in winter?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

We would be going to either place in the summer and prices aren't drastically different. The one big attraction on SGI is that there are quite a few houses right on the beach which we much prefer to a condo. Having been to the panhandle before, I will say I thought the beaches/water were beautiful.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

There are loads on houses on the beach on MK, but not sure how many are for rent. Some people actually live in them year round, others for the winter but then dont rent them out. They are mainly in sarasota county, and they may have different rental restrictions re min number of nights/weeks/months etc.

Try Michael Saunders realty

Ben a very long time since I went thru SGI, but I recall the sand is nicer there. MK has sharks teeth.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

Save the extra driving time..do SGI and visit Apalachicola.

Mentioned in this post
Apalachicola
Apalachicola
Florida Panhandle, FL
5. Re: St. George Island vs. Manasota Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2015, 04:46