We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

england
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
95 reviews
Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

I have to attend a conference at the Hyatt Regency in Bonita Springs in early March.

I can either look to get a flight to Fort Meyers connecting out of NY or else look to get one to Miami and drive across.

Is the latter sensible? How "easy" is the journey and how long would be take?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

You may get better prices by flying in to Miami and it would take you about 2 1/2 hours to drove to Bonita Springs from there at the most. If you fly in to Ft. Myers your drive will only be about 30 minutes . I would see how much of a variation there is with the cost...keeping in mind that MIA is a zoo whereas RSW is a small, easy airport where I fly out of frequently.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,092 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

If the flight times and price of the flight to Ft Myers is good, I might be inclined to use that. RSW is a nice new smallish airport and so easy to get in and out of quickly. And easy to rent a car from (which I assume you will be doing).

MIA on the other hand is convenient for Miami if you want to spend some time before you return. But as saud, MIA is not as nice an aiport and the drive is 2 hours longer (plus tolls If you use MIA, come in the day before and spend the night. You'll be too tired/jet lagged off a transatlantic flight to drive 2.5 hours to Bonita.

Rossendale, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
3. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

Hi

I would go for the Fort Myers option, we have property in Naples FL and have done both flights, the drive from Miami is over a hundred miles, you only have about a 10 mile journey from Fort Myers to your hotel. Also at Miami airport you have to take a bus to pick up a hire car. Fort Myers is a small International airport where your car hire is right across the road as you walk out of the terminal building. Hope this help if you want any further information don't hesitate to contact me. Continental offer good deals into Fort Myers.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
176 reviews
4. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

Agree with the previous responses.

I've driven to Naples from MIA several times and it is tiring.

The direct flights from the UK typically arrive in the afternoon. It takes around an hour to clear immigration/customs. By the time you have got to the car rental depot and completed the formalities it's Miami rush hour.

Take the I75 'Alligator Alley'. The US 41 is a nice drive but much slower at night. From the airport you'd take the 836 and 826 to join the I75. There's one toll to pay at the Miami end of Alligator Alley - due to go up 1st Jan I believe so around $4 or $5. You'll typically get to the hotel around 10PM.

A quick look on Expedia for the cheapest economy ticket shows broadly similar prices, if anything about 10% less for flights to RSW than direct to MIA, though you will obviously have a connection to make. Do you particularly want to connect in NY? There other connection options. It may also vary for business class or a flexible ticket. More time on planes or in airports vs time in a car......

england
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

Thanks All.

I looked on SkyScanner and as you say it was actually slightly cheaper to fly to RSW than Mia.

I have flown to RSW a couple of years ago when I went to Sanibel and it was a pleasant experience on arrival as you say.

No preference to connect in NY but that seemed to be the cheapest option and also with the lowest overall travel time (a mere 13 hours!)

6. Re: Getting to a conference from UK to Bonita Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 11:12