We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

will be arriving on a Sunday morning in later Sept....suggestions for a Sunday brunch....doesn't have to be high-end....good food, atmosphere.....what do you think about Duke's? Lighthouse Cafe?

For Steakhouse/Seafood restaurant....Love Mastro's Ocean Club that we enjoyed in another city location so looking at Newport location for this trip.....but also came across 21 Oceanfront in Newport that looks equally good....anyone?

Lastly...came across Red O and The Bungalow....

THANKS in advance for your comments and thoughts on these good eats places...

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,374 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Bump!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Duke's has a really good brunch, actually. My family goes there for special occasions.

21 Oceanfront is not a good substitute for Mastro's Ocean Club. I'd go with Selänne Steak Tavern instead.

Red O is a must-miss. If you want high-end Mexican, go with Taco Maria. Otherwise, places like Sol Cocina and South of Nick's are good depending on how far you're willing to drive.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,859 posts
441 reviews
3. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Red O is way too yupified Mexican food for me. With all the down home, old school Mexican in Costa Mesa, Huntington and especially Santa Ana, I'd go for that. Even El Cholo and El Ranchito would be preferable.

Steaks, Mastro's Ocean Club is good and a better location than Mastro's at South Coast, but I like Selanne Steak Tavern better because it is local and run by local hero Teemu Selanne.

The Bungalow is nice enough, but I'd opt for the Quiet Woman instead. Maybe the Side Door too, depending on what you'd like to eat.

Duke's is a great location with nice enough food. Something in the Pacific Center would have better food and decent views.

Lighthouse Cafe.... funny it came up the other day as I was having brunch at Playa Mesa with friends. In full disclosure, two of the people at breakfast were friends of the owner. The food quality has never been a problem, but spotty service was a major issue. The consensus seemed to be that service had improved and it was tracking the right direction.

I've always enjoyed Newport Landing for the food and the views. Oceanfront 21 has great food, but the view, looking at the ocean through the parking lot isn't ideal.

This thread is still valid and maybe we can add some to it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32780…

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
4. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Thanks for the replies and great info!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

Our favorite Sunday Brunch hands down is Taco Rosa. Mainly Mexican dishes, and many other choices like an omelette bar, prime rib carving station, taco station with fresh handmade tortillas, various seafoods, salads, soups, amazing desserts, Mariachis, and endless champagne. Two locations, we usually go to Newport, but the Irvine restaurant is good too. 10AM-2PM

https://www.tacorosa.com/pages/our-menu

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?

In the same section of the Tustin Marketplace as Taco Rosa is Taps Fish House that has a great Sunday brunch.

Reply to: Restaurants..Sunday Brunch? Steakhouse/Seafood Restaurant?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted