We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Hello.Me and my husband are planning a holiday to Zakynthos this year,in the second part of june,with our little boy and another couple of friends.We are planning to stay in Laganas.My question is where can we find a convinient car for rent as we want to visit the island too.Should we also know something in particular about Zakynthos before we come here?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

>>>Should we also know something in particular about Zakynthos<<<

Zakynthos is a lovely island, whereas Laganas isn't. Drunk, naked young Brits out looking for cheap drinks and sex is all you'll find. I'm just mentioning this since you'll have your little boy with you.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

It's not just the Brits unfortunately in Laganas.

To answer your first question. There's lots of local hire companies on the island, every resort has a couple. You'll get a better deal from the locals rather than the multinationals. Most of the locals don't require a credit card deposit & are fully insured. Whatever you do, don't deal with any company that wants you to leave your passport as a security deposit. Driving on Zakynthos is a doddle, just take your time and enjoy.

As for what you should know about the island. Definitely avoid Laganas, it'll be crazy in late June with all the teenagers that have finished exams etc. All the other resorts are suitable, depending on what you want from your holiday. Tsilivi is the main family resort but still has plenty of nightlife to keep you all occupied. There's no clubs but no antisocial behaviour either. Have a look at the other resorts & come back with any questions you have.

Haarlem...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

is it like that all day? we are visiting zakynthos because of diving and all diving centers are at Laganas.. I have child of 14 with me :(

Edited: 11 February 2018, 13:54
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

It'll be quieter during the day but it's still not somewhere I'd stay. Kalamaki is close by & is much nicer, you can easily get to Laganas from there.

There are other dive centres at St Nikolas in Vasilikos but that's a very quiet area to stay in. Argassi would be a better choice for there.

Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

I am asking the same question. How bad can it be during the day in Laganas. We are coming with a small baby and night life is not for us, but I started to worry I made a bad decision.

weymouth,dorset
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

We stayed in Laganas early season last summer, absolutely no problems we had a 9 and a 13 year old, it was lovely, we tend not to really go out too often in the evenings but when we did it was familys and yes some young people but nothing like a UK main drag on a saturday night, very enjoyable and we are going back this year....dont worry and enjoy!

Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

This is what I wanted to hear :) I was planning to book a car to leave Laganas from time to time, but I think we will check it first and organise a car when we are there.

For how long would you recommend to hire a car during two weeks holidays? Would you rather book a car for a longer term or rent it twice (if the company agrees for the similar price)?

I have read the prices went up this year. Do you think it will stay like they want to or they will need to decrease it during the season?

Seriously, I cant wait to go there... let the time pass quickly :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

Unless you want to pick up the car on arrival at the airport then it's best to sort it in resort. Booking face to face with cash in your hand will get you the bes deal. Shop around the locals, if you look though the older posts about car hire here you'll find recommendations for every resort. If you're thinking of hiring twice then sort all this at the same time, it'll give you more bargaining power.

Depending on when you're going it isn't normally necessary to pre book apart from the heigh of he season (July & August). Again Laganas is ok outside these times but it's busy in late June also.

P. S. As for prices, who knows what will happen. I've been looking online for a few months & most places are actually quoting more now than before Christmas. In the past when we've prebooked (we always pick up the car at the airport for the full duration) very early in the year we've always paid less than the "walk in " prices on display while we're actually there.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 17:24
Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Laganas
Recent Conversations