We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
940 posts
163 reviews
New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

We are heading back to Bucerias for our 3rd time this January. This year, my husband and I will stay 3 weeks. The other 2 couples, just 2 weeks. My job is to PLAN . One couple have never been there. We stay at Punta Arena which is, in my opinion, one of the best locations for walking the town.

I pretty much have a lay of the land and do have a sailing day with ADA and a cooking class with My Mexican Kitchen already booked, but so many restaurants and other eateries we didn't try, as just always seemed to hit our favorites This year, I'm trying to make a list of ones recommended that we didn't locate. ( One we couldn't find was Famvar (spelling). We asked various locals and cab drivers, but no one seemed to know of it. Anyone sure it's still open, and how to spot it?

Also curious if anyone knows if the Rhythms of the Night every changes up their shows. 4 of us took the boat over and loved the show 2 years ago. However, now that we're showing a new couple Bucerias, might consider going again. Just curious if the show and dinner ever changes? (Vallarta Adventures, of course, tells me, it's an entirely different show and meal each year, but would like to hear other's experiences as well.

Also, as my husband and I will be there a week before our friends show up, and it's a little easier to get a cab for 2 than 6, we'd like to take a little longer sightseeing, cultural day trip ourselves. We've of course have been to both Sayulita and PV quite a bit during our previous trips. Any suggestions on an interesting day trip that we could look into that others in our age bracket have enjoyed,( age 70's). We are planning an all day fishing trip when our friends arrive, so whale watching is always easy then. We do love the water and would love an evening Sunset dinner, but with the with ADA Sailing (Which we highly recommend), is necessary to book the entire boat for that cruise and would be great for a whole family, but not just the 2 of us or even just 6. We did just return from Negril Jamaica, and not sure you could beat the snorkeling experiences in the clear waters of the Caribbean, but do love to be on the Ocean when possible. (Nebraska comes up short in that category for us). Thanks for any different suggestions, if any as I am still researching myself. I've always trusted TA for advice, so wanted to toss out my questions anyway.

19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
389 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

If renting a car is a consideration, driving up the Nayarit coast towards San Blas allows for stopping at a few nice beach villages and finding some interesting meals.

Most tourists don't seem to get past Sayulita, if they even make it that far,

You could also hire a van driver for a day trip up the coast.

Also day trips inland to San Sebastian, Mascota etc

Edited: 06 August 2018, 21:23
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

Going to La Peñita on Thursday for the market is a great day trip north of Bucerias.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

we enjoy trips to Guayabitos, San Sebastion and have done San Blas as well.

Last visit was a trip up the hills to the hot springs it was such a wonderful trip...

Famar restaurant is on the highway across from ocean side Estaciones and highway a block or so from HSBC

take a boat trip to Yelapa.. so much and so much fun to be had anywhere you go

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

Have you been to the Thursday Night Art Walk? And how about the Human Connections tour?

https://www.humanconnections.org

Also, would the orphanage (Manos de Amor) be of interest? Assistance like reading to the children is always appreciated and it's best to contact them before going there:

https://manosdeamor.com

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
940 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

Thanks for all the tips,, some suggestions we have done but others, not ,so have lots of research. Especially on the day trips outside of Bucerias. I'm going to look into the orphanage that really sounded like something I'd, at least, love. We have much we can share and love children (have quadruplet grandchildren ) so am starting a tub of things, and extra money we can take with us . I can pack into an extra suitcase and will just pay to check it. I have already e-mailed the orphanage to ask for ways I can help the 3 weeks we will be there in January. Great ideas and thanks to all. Once I get to searching these things, I may be back in touch to check out if I run into questions.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
940 posts
163 reviews
6. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

Another question regarding a few day excursions we're considering: (and let me know if this should be re-posted somewhere else). We will pick just one.

Full-Day Toriles and Tequila from Puerto Vallarta with Tequila Tasting,

Mascota and Talpa Tour

San Sebastian del Oeste.

There are 2 companies we're looking at that do similar tours here and wondered, if there was much difference between them? They are Puerto Vallarta Discovery or Puerto Vallarta Adventures. We would prefer a smaller van when possible, than a large sightseeing bus. The tour I'm most interested in is the Toriles and Tequila one, however, that departs from PV at 7am and is a 12 hour day. In looking at the map, I'm wondering if it's possible (I've already e-mailed them) to see if there is an alternate pick up. It appears they will be driving right through Bucerias and certainly would save us the hour extra timing. My husband and I are interested in a sightseeing and culture tour where we don't have to do the driving, and can sit back and relax.

We do have a few other activities on our list, some booked, and some we can't reserve this early:

We always enjoy visiting a couple different Markets and we'll take a cab, Ada Sailing day and a Mexican Cooking Class,(both already booked), a visit or volunteering to the Manos de Amor orphanage (I've already been in contact with them), a tour of some homes through International Friendship Club Tours, the Pirates of the Bay tour, possibly going again to the Rhythmns of the Night Dinner show, a Bucerias Cultural Day Tour, a visit to San Francisco, a fishing excursion.....which should keep us entertained, yet time for relaxing and enjoying the laid back feel to Bucerias.

The last 2 years, we've limited our time to just one long outing, but as we're staying 3 weeks this year, felt we have a better grasp of the area and can broaden our horizons. The tours we're looking at are mainly sightseeing and cultural excursions. We are 70 and although yet still active, aren't ready to tackle zip lining again . And although, I may get some static on this activity, I have an aversion to swimming with wild animals in captivity, so am staying away from all the many trips offered to Swim with the Dolphins. It's just a me thing, so sorry if this is one of your favorite activities.

We did just return from a vacation to Jamaica where we (70 year olds) experienced our first Parasailing and loved it, so may look for that again if there are any close to us in Bucerias that are reputable and safe.

I hope this wasn't too long, but wanted to give you as much information as possible if there are any other suggestions out there to make. Thank you again for all the help.

Muskoka
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

You could do a day trip to the Botanical Gardens Puerto Vallarta. We have friends who went last year and really enjoyed it. There is a nice restaurant on site.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
940 posts
163 reviews
8. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

I was wondering about this, but not sure of the seasons of the flowers for January in Mexico. Some reviews mentioned, they were disappointed with the gardens due to lack of flowers growing. Any idea of what it's like in January?

Ocala, FL
Level Contributor
152 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

You can go parasailing from the beach in Yelapa - nice water taxi ride to get there.

Canopy tour zip line in PV was great but a little strenuous: https://canopytours-vallarta.com/

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
940 posts
163 reviews
10. Re: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)

I saw they offer paragliding, and as the whole ride is so short, were hoping to fine someone closer to Bucerias. But will keep this information in my notes. Thanks.

Reply to: New ideas for 3rd time to Bucerias (Jan '19)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias
Recent Conversations