We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
511 reviews
Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Visiting North and Middle Caicos really helped better my vacation. I loved this island and the feeling of seclusion in such a local environment. If you aren’t a fan of touristy Grace Bay, or maybe you just like to explore and see beautiful things, I would definitely recommend a day trip to either South Caicos or these two islands.

Before committing to going, I would do a bit of research. Both TripAdvisor and simple google searches helped me to find really helpful information. The visit TCI website is also helpful and lists up to date info. I would look up maps prior to going so that it is realized that these islands are very secluded and different from Provo.

When I visited North and Middle Caicos, I only had a bit of plan/idea of what would happen. I left my place early, made sure I would be at the ferry half an hour early, and left my car there for the day. When the ferry arrived half an hour later, a fellow from Al Gardiner car rental was there to get me to sign and pay for my car. I rented my car in advance via email and I am not sure that I would recommend them as there seemed to be some trouble at the end. They were on time to meet the ferry, the guy was going between me and another group to get our info so that was kind of annoying, but I was able to talk him down on the cost of the insurance. Luckily I had gotten a picture of me and the Jeep (which sounded like it was going to die, added to the adventure though), because the roof was broken and actually fell a couple hours later as I was driving. I thought to myself, it’ll be fine as long as it doesn’t rain, and of course, it poured towards the end of the day right before getting to the ferry. They weren’t impressed and wanted to charge me for the broken roof, I emailed Al that night and showed him the picture and told him that I would be contacting the fraud department with my credit card if I was charged. He apologized and offered me a free car rental if I was coming again; a pretty good deal as it was an amazing island. I almost took him up on it, but he was out of cars when I had wanted to come and decided I may as well stay in Provo and relax a bit with some beer.

The car rental was really the only bad thing, everything else was great. It is important that before you leave Provo, that you get a map of North and Middle Caicos, it will give you somewhat of an idea of where things are but keep in mind that it is not to scale in anyway. Bring a lot of water and some snacks as you never know if places will be open. They should be, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t.

When I started driving, I accidentally went the wrong way and it’s been a while so I’m not even sure I could tell you which way to go. Looking back, it was simple and I was silly. It definitely doesn’t hurt to clarify on directions with the person who brings you your car rental. And remember, you’ll be driving on the other side.

I stopped in at a little restaurant called Aquatic Restaurant and Bar where they were nothing but kind and had a breakfast sandwich. It was really good and about $10. I wouldn’t say it was worth $10, but I wouldn’t complain either. It’s on the right side of the road a few minutes after passing Victoria Gift Shop. Victoria Gift Shop is on the left side and has an ice cream shop beside it. The owner is from TCI while his wife is from Canada. After breakfast, I headed back past the gift shop to look for the flamingoes. While stopped and looking, a local stopped to make sure I was ok. The people here are so nice, so do not worry about a thing.

After not seeing any flamingoes, I went back to where the gift shop was and turned down the road to go to Horse Stable Beach. It’s a straight and simple drive on gravel, just take it slow. The beach was beautiful and secluded. There are bad reviews here on TA for this beach and I do not understand why. This place was perfect. You could walk a very far distance and only three other people came by during my time there. It was breathtaking.

After Horse Stable Beach, I was on my way to Mudjin Harbor which is on Middle Caicos. I stopped more than a few times to take pictures of pretty views, and took many on the road that connects North and Middle Caicos. If you do this, be sure to give warning to any other drivers, and make sure that you do not cause any accidents. Right after the connecting road ends, it only take a minute or two to get to Mudjin Harbor. You will see a sign right after a small curve, so be ready. Drive in, park, take your snacks, towel, bathing suit, water, and camera. Walk up to Mudjin Harbour but go up the hill first. Take it all in there and even take the path further to a set of stairs that takes you to another opening on the water. Once done, walk back down the path and to the beach. When I went, the beach was secluded, only 2 other families there and when I left a couple of hours, there were only 5 other families.

Mudjin Harbor is a very beautiful place and words truly cannot describe it. It’s a breathtaking rock formation with huge waves. Even while standing in shallow water where the rock formation doesn’t help slow down the waves, you can get knocked on your feet. Dangerous, but fun. If you go more to the middle, where the formation slows things down, it is still very strong, but not as much. You can walk down the beach, go in the water, or just sit in there in awe. There’s a restaurant on the property as well that overlooks the water. I’ve only heard good things.

After Mudjin Harbor, I continued down the road. I had heard great things about Daniel’s Café, but he was closed that day so I continued on. When you get there, I believe that is the point where you can’t go straight anymore, and you have to turn. There is only one place to turn and you will know that you have gotten there.

I drove until I saw a pond on the right that sometimes has flamingoes, again, no flamingoes, but maybe you would be luckier. I drove until the road was no more and looking over the water. Not a perfect sight but a sight at that. I turned around and went to Bambarra Beach. I was skeptical as TA reviews said it was full of mosquitos but I only felt one closer to the bush. You can sit in the sand or on the dock. I chose the dock. There was a fellow there who was fishing and his name was T boy. Very nice guy who shared a lot of info. He told me that he takes folks out for fishing and snorkeling, etc. He gave me permission to post his info here if anyone was interested. (T Boy AKA Boo, Timothy Robinson, 649-249-0346).

While sitting on the dock, we shared some watermelon that I had brought and within a few minutes we saw a sting ray go by, and then two trumpet fish. It was pretty great. I mentioned how I had been looking for the beach with the big bits of machinery in the ocean, so we packed up and he gave me directions in my jeep. I wouldn’t let anyone do that, but for some reason I felt like he was ok. The name of the place is Platico Point and it is listed on TA. It’s not a must, but when you have a partner who is a farmer that likes to play with big equipment and he’s fine with you traveling alone, the least you can do is find the neatest picture to send him. People with hardworking hands cannot get enough of the photos I took.

I took T Boy back to Bamberra and then made my way back to the ferry. Always be sure to be on time as they will leave you behind. Make sure you save your ticket.

If you are interested in places to stay on either North or Middle Caicos, there are a few but most are highly priced so I would recommend looking far in advance.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Enjoyed reading about your experience. We also had a problem with Al's but not as bad as yours. 😕

Did you stop by the lookout on North for the flamingos? There's a sign-Flamingo Pond North Caicos-and a small bldg. with a viewing deck. I had a good telephoto on my point & shoot camera so was able to see them. Couldn't with the naked eye.

Too bad about Daniel's not being open. Great cracked conch and fresh fish. When he's open the Middle Caicos Co-Op is too and there are some lovely hand crafted baskets and such for sale there.

I agree with your comments about Mudjin Harbor. It really is a magnificent sight with those huge waves. Made for some really good pics!

Did you get to Lorimers where it actually says right on the road "road ends"??

You're right about planning. I really wanted to visit Wade's Green Plantation but you have to call ahead to arrange for it to be open and I didn't do that.

We would definitely do a return trip with some better planning as you suggested. We had a map but some signs are so small you can easily miss them.

Would love to see some photos from your day.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
511 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

I did stop at the flamingo lookout on North Caicos but didn't see anything. Luckily I went to South Caicos a few days later and did see some! Feel free to check out my report on south. It's on the south Caicos forum and the Provo forum.

I'm glad that I did plan what I did to at least have an idea of what was going on. I never believe it is a good idea to just go with the flow. At least have an idea so you don't miss out.

That's too bad about the plantation! I had hoped to go there but ran out of time.

I did go to Lorimer's landing, I'm pretty sure at least. I can't remember the sign, but I came to an end where there was open ocean.

As for pics, I have some on Instagram. Megan_Dawn_OH

You have to scroll down a bit and you'll see a cluster of photos from TCI. I don't know how to just put them on a forum. I should upload some on to TA with my reviews. One of these days.

North Caicos
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
7,329 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Really nice trip report! The people over there ARE very nice and will do what they can to help you. One of the many reasons we stay over there a few times per year, just to decompress.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
4. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Wow, what a great trip report with so much helpful information! Thanks so much for posting! 👍🏼😎

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
511 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Thank you folks! Always happy to share! It was very interesting planning my time here and like any small island travel planning, I depend partially on TA users posting their trip reports. May as well give back :)

Chico, California
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Thanks for your very informative post. Do you have any maps of N & M Caicos you would recommend? Or map apps? We're going soon to stay for 10 days on Bambarra Beach, and will have a car for exploring. I really appreciate your information.

North Caicos
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
7,329 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

mtnmama, here is the best map for North and Middle, from WhereWhenHow:

wherewhenhow.com/images/turks-caicos-islands…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
511 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

You're very welcome!! I am a bit envious about you being there for 10 days! That sounds so amazing!!

I used the maps online from visitTCI.com, they are helpful to at least reference in the beginning stages. When you go to take the ferry from Provo to North, there will be maps there and I definitely recommend taking one. I have found out that those ones are absolutely to scale and up to date.

I do hope to hear about your trip!

White City...
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

Megan, great trip report. My husband and I are from a small town just outside of Regina, have family living in Winnipeg. Nice to see a post from a fellow prairie resident. Thanks for the detailed report- we will be in Provo and Grand Turk this winter for our first visit and are considering a day trip to North and Middle Caicos, so your report is super helpful!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
511 reviews
10. Re: Trip Report - North and Middle Caicos

I'm glad it has been helpful! I really do hope you go, Mudjin Harbour especially will make it worth it. It's a breathtaking place, really.

I'm actually from a small town myself, hour and a half north of Winnipeg. My small town roots is probably what made me enjoy North and Middle Caicos so much. Some of the roads are bumpy but if you're from a small town and you're used to gravel roads, it won't be an issue. Just go slow. If you're a fan of small places, check out South Caicos! I also did a trip report on TA for it.

A round trip day flight was under $100 USD when I went. A boat tour with Tim Hamilton is a must! $100/hour and absolutely amazing. Being on my own, it was expensive, but again, so absolutely worth it. Just be sure to print a map prior to give you an idea of where you are. You'll drive around, see beautiful things, and you'll be able to piece it altogether. These islands are a great experience!

Please, feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help! Enjoy!!

Get answers to your questions about North Caicos
Recent Conversations