We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket and Planning Questions

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Ticket and Planning Questions

I read somewhere (put can't remember where) that the entrance to Mystras allows you to enter and exit multiples during the day. Can an expert please confirm this for me.

If this is possible, we are thinking about exploring the lower site first then driving up to the upper site and exploring the castle and upper areas with a late lunch/recovery break in between. We may do the upper site first, then the lower if that order is recommended. We will be arriving about 12 noon on Monday June 12th in case that makes a difference to due to sun, shade, heat, etc.

Also, is there a nice taverna we can have lunch at up by the upper gate (or lower gate) so we don't have to drive around looking for someplace back in town?

Thank you, Rose

12 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
69 reviews
11. Re: Ticket and Planning Questions

Rose, there were no guides at either entrance. We passed one tour group which had a guide who was speaking mainly in an eastern European language, but I think this large group had arrived on a bus I saw in the parking lot. Other groups of visitors were exploring the site on their own.

Our Mystras visit was on June 10 last year, by the way. The downpours at Sparta and Mystras paled in comparison to the thunderstorms that raged during our bus ride to Corinth later that afternoon -- the rain was so fierce, water kept leaking through the ceiling of the bus onto me and other passengers. Visibility was extremely limited and we were glad someone else was doing the driving. Luckily, the storm stopped by the time we reached Nafplio.

Three days earlier, while in Monemvasia, the beautiful weather gave way to a ferocious windstorm that brought threatening clouds and chilly temperatures -- but only a very light sprinkling of rain -- to the castle town. That storm ended within a couple of hours but high winds persisted throughout the next day.

Since 2010 we have encountered at least one major thunderstorm during our May and June holidays in Greece, so we've come to expect there won't always be sunny, warm weather.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
12. Re: Ticket and Planning Questions

I think I bought a small booklet at the entrance so we knew basically what we were looking at. Some of the buildings had "room stewards" to answer questions, but otherwise I think it better to wander freely & just look rather than listen to a tour guide. You will only ever remember a fraction of what they say & you have to go at their pace & perhaps miss that stunning photo op because they are moving on.

It is a fabulous site & worth a few hours. If you skim through a site like this you can be left feeling you have to go again, so really make the most of it. You don't have to know much about a place to enjoy it's atmosphere, sense of history or location. Take lots of photographs & read up on it before you go & again afterwards to remind yourself of what you saw.

Reply to: Ticket and Planning Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mystras