We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car good idea in July?

Mumbai, India
7 posts
1 review
Renting a car good idea in July?

Hi,

We are a family of 7 and have booked a villa in Sant'Agata. We are staying for 7 days and plan to make day trips to Positano, Amalfi ect. ect.

I have read that it is very difficult to drive in the summer due to lot of traffic. But as we plan to stay 9km away from Sorrento center, is it advisable to rent a car?

Can we drive down to Sorrento center and park the car there? or will it be easier to just take a taxi? can we make some day trips using the car without much hassle?

Would love to get your views. Thanks in advance.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
70 posts
167 reviews
1. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

What you have read about driving the Amalfi Coast is all true. I have driven in many areas of Europe over the last 20 years but nothing prepared me for the Amalfi Coast. I really thought "how difficult can this be?" Wow, was I sorry!! Traffic is horrible, the sheer cliffs are terrifying since you are driving along the very EDGE of them, and the hairpin turns greet you with oncoming large busses driving very fast. I found a place to pull over and collapsed in tears ( no exaggeration!)

I highly recommend hiring a local driver. It will be worth every penny and make your vacation so much less stressful. You will probably be fine driving other places just not along the coast. Pompeii is very small and parking is difficult so I think public or private hire to there makes more sense.

Hope this helps. On another note, this is my very favorite part of Italy - don't miss Capri!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
2. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

Hi, i'm just back from a holiday in a villa in Sant' Agata near Sorrento. There was a large group of us holidaying together and we had booked three cars to get us from the airport in Naples to our villa and then for day trips during our stay there. To be honest, we did not use the cars much at all as driving around the Amalfi coast was too nerve wracking -sharp bends, cliff drives, very, very narrow roads, etc, etc... I wouldn't avise renting a car unless you are a very confident driver and used to driving in such conditions... and even then, if you have to rent a car, get a very small one -that seems to be what all the Italians in the region drive.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

Hi, I'm thinking of renting a villa (Carissa b) for a week. Are there enough restaurants there and within walking distance. Thanks Eileen

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
247 reviews
4. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

Hi,

We have been going to Sant'agata for ten years and would never consider driving or hiring a car.

Taxis are easy enough tho not cheap, public transport is ideal and a great way if seeing the real Italy.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
238 reviews
5. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

I have been driving the Amalfi coast since 1965 [I learnt to ride a motorbike there] It is not for the faint hearted. But the main problem is when you get to where you want to visit along the coast will you find a parking space? You have a better chance of finding gold bars lying in the street! A lot of the hotels outside Sorrento supply a shuttle bus service into central Sorrento & back. or get a taxi. or you will probably find here is a local bus.If you can ferry/hydrofoil along the coast as Sita buses are often standing room only.

Newington...
Level Contributor
1 post
184 reviews
6. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

No need to rent a car in Sant'Agata. We just returned and spent 6 days there with a party of eight. Bus service to Sorrento is easy, inexpensive (about 3 Euro round trip) and runs pretty regularly. Parking in Sorrento would be an issue. Consider an Amalfi Coast Tour using these guys http://www.drivethroughparadise.com/ Great door to door service and Tony and Max are great. They live in Sorrento so they have considerable knowledge of the Amalfi Coast

United Kingdom
2 posts
7. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

We have been to Sorrento and Sant'agata 3 times now, and hired a car the first time (when staying in Sant'agata). We barely used the car other than to transfer to the airport! The driving is pretty erratic but if i'm honest no different than any other European city (or Asia tbf) and its not that difficult to get around.

The main issue I found was parking and the cost of it. Bear in mind form the airport you can get the bus straight to Sorrento for 10 EURO around 1/1.5 hours. Then up to Sant'agata for around 2/3 EURO and takes 25 mins and runs pretty regular.

8. Re: Renting a car good idea in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Sant'Agata sui Due...
Recent Conversations
More Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi Topics