We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

london
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Hi,

Me and hubby both 30yrs old are visiting south coast from 24th-29th October. What would be the best beaches to stay at for decent nightlife (bars andvrestaurants and a little life and atmosphere at night nothing crazy) and possibility of swimming in the day?

We were thinking to split time between unawatuna and mirissa (Tangalle may be too quiet but worth it for the beaches??) But have read hikkaduwa has better bars and choice? Will the weather be worse there tho or not to different?

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Hi uma4235,

Based on what you're looking at have you considered Kalutara as a destination? You can go day-swimming and there's an amazing swimming pool at AVANI Kalutara as well. Granted they aren't as chaotic as the Bentota/Hikkaduwa areas but I think that this would fit what you guys are looking for. I've put the link below for you to check it out - https:/… Really hope that this helps you. Have a great stay :)

Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Hi...

To be honest with you, we could expect rainfall (NOT from early morning till the evening, but for a short period either in the morning time or evening time) in southern coastal belt of Sri Lanka. However, in terms of good nightlife and better beaches of course you can find in Unawatuna, Hikkaduwa or Mirissa.

If you require any further information, please ask.

Cheers - Feel Special.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Kalutara has a miserable beach and Avani Kalutara is an average hotel.

And you ought to know all that Dan, since I'm guessing you work for Serendib

Bahrain
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Hello,

I just returned from Galle a couple of days back. My advice will be Mirissa or Unawatana Beaches. Rainfall is not too much, only sometimes in morning or evening for half an hour or so. Waves are good for surfing or swimming.

Feel free to ask for any other info.

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

If you go to Mirissa after Una/Hikka , then go for Hikka. Have reef protected area and safe for swim. Good restaurant & bar scene .

Cheers!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

I would also like an answer to the same question.

My itinerary so far is - Unawatuna (For New Years Eve) on Tangelle, Ella, Mirissa and finally Bentota.

We are going for our honeymoon so would like a few quieter places (Tangelle & Ella) but also love a bit of night life.

Do you think I should swap one of these areas for Hikkaduwa - is the night life better here?

Thanks

Chrissie

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Tangalle is more quite than others but night life wise Hikkaduwa is better than all the others, specially around NY season.Have a night or two there.

BRgds

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

Unawatuna will be the best for your vacation....

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
300 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

hey,

Unawatuna is congested and too rush area.hikkaduwa much better than unawatuna.What about bentota is where you can locate as you wish.this is my recommendation to saty at bentota(bentota,aluthgama,moragalla)

regards

10. Re: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2017, 19:05

Reply to: Hikkaduwa or unawatuna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna