We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

3 posts
Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

I am traveling from the US to find the graves of my family--family named Worth--who lived in Jiangyin 1909 - 1937. They were Christian medical missionaries. Does anyone know where to find their graves or where they lived?

4 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

Do some up front research, and keep in mind Jiangyin used to be called Kiangyin so you might find references using this name. If you know the Christian denomination that they belonged to, you might be able to start your search while in the USA by contacting somebody involved in history of their Asian missionaries. In China, you might be able to ask at the Jiangyin Museum about that period of history (before the Japanese occupation). Or if the missionaries were affiliated with an old Chinese local hospital (most were), that might be an avenue. You'll likely need a translator to help you if you need to play detective in China.

It is possible that wherever they were buried has fallen to new development especially since the 1970's. But usually the Chinese local govt would at least move the remains to somewhere else. I do suggest that you find every piece of information that you can, before you begin your traveling. Good luck in your search.

California
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

The Overseas Missionary Fellowship, formerly known as the China Inland Mission, is actually alive in Singapore, retreating there in the aftermath of the Communist takeover. I think the organization has some archival material if your family was connected to China Inland Mission.

Good luck.

3 posts
3. Re: Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

Great advise, many thanks!

3 posts
4. Re: Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s

Ah, many thanks!!!

Reply to: Missionary family, Worth, from Jiangyin, early 1900s
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jiangyin