We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

London
Level Contributor
622 posts
126 reviews
Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

Does anyone know if the Spanish taxi strike is affecting ibiza? specifically the airport taxi rank.

We arrive tomorrow, 4 adults and 2 children, and have too much luggage to contemplate taking the bus.

Many thanks

10 replies to this topic
ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
1. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

the taxis withdrew their excellent public service for 3 hours on Tuesday morning and almost immediately started crying because pirate taxis swooped like vultures on a public desperate to get where they wanted to go. the drivers are protesting about more licenses being given to 'transfer' companies because it is simply not fair! why should a company that can take more than four passengers on a pre-arranged trip at a pre-arranged time (all the things taxis can't do) be allowed to operate?

the lads are all back at work now having made their point and garnered massive public support.

mm

Edited: 02 August 2018, 16:33
London
Level Contributor
622 posts
126 reviews
2. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

Good to hear all back to normal.

I do support them. Hubby is fully licenced here in the UK & has spent years learning his trade ..... id crawl on my knees before getting an uber

ibiza
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
3. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

looks like i wasted my time explaining why ibiza taxi drivers are revolting.

mm

ibiza
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
4. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

i just found an article on the years of hardwork, dedication and training it takes to become a taxi driver in ibiza

…blogspot.com/2009/12/ibiza-taxi.html

mm

London
Level Contributor
622 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

It maybe very different in spain to get a licence but here in the UK a proper licence has to be earned while an uber "licence" comes free with most boxes of cereals.

Id always go for a licenced taxi over an uber style for safety and out of principal but thats me.

Just to note: you can prebook taxis in spain but yes, they cant take more than 4 passengers, irrespective of the nunber of seats which ive never quite understood for licensed people carrier style cars but there you go.

Ill be in the queue in the official taxi rank at 10am tomorrow with a smile on my face :)

Everywhere
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
6. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

waggers, to be clear, and you say you would always go for a licenced taxi, when you phone Radio Taxis on the number you've often mentioned you regard this as pre-booking? Or are you talking about one of those blacked out windows dodgy outfits?

London
Level Contributor
622 posts
126 reviews
7. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

Only ever phone and prebook the licenced taxi ... none of those dodgy ones :)

The phone number i use and have shared on here is for the official taxis.

ibiza
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

you can't prebook a taxi in ibiza. you can call when you want one but you can't ring at noon and request a taxi at 7pm. the system doesn't work that way.you can't compare what happens in other countries, or even the rest of spain to here. the taxi drivers are moaning about competition which provides a 'better' service than they do, saying it is unfair.

mm

Rugby
Destination Expert
for Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

Oh dear! My son, who has lived in London for years would rather “crawl on his knees” than pay black cab prices, and he and everyone he knows uses Uber, as have we on occasion, in other parts of the world as well as London. I hang my head in shame.

London
Level Contributor
622 posts
126 reviews
10. Re: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?

Sorry but ou can prebook the licenced taxis in Ibiza. We do it many times year, often calling a day or two in advance, especially if we need to be at the airport early.

The "to Uber or not to Uber" is personal choice. We choose not to out of principal but appreciate many people do and are happy. Just dont tell any of your proper cabbie mates if you have any :)

Reply to: Is the Spanish taxi strike affecting ibiza?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Eulalia del Rio