We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

What is the most reliable, efficient and cost effective means of travel from Seville to Alvor please! I arrive on a Sunday, Aug 19, where I was going to take the bus (ALSA,or EVA) but reading past posts from previous years indicate that both lines do not meet good standards at all. I also find the schedules very challenging to interpret. Is utilizing a private driver the way to go? If I do take the bus am I correct in going to the Portimao station followed by 2 local buses to Alvor? Are taxis available at the local bus stations in case they don't arrive? Ha it's obvious I'm a first timer to this! Thanks for your help!

Edited: 04 August 2018, 01:25
8 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
1. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Oops I meant to say Seville to Alvor!!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

but reading past posts from previous years indicate that both lines do not meet good standards at all. Really?? Can you explain why? Because so many people ask for it and use it that it's a bit strange to see that comment. Once you arrive to Portimão take a taxi to Alvor. Maybe this site is easier to read http://www.algarvebus.info/001.htm

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Not sure what is challenging about the Alsa site you put in the departure & arrival points, click the date & the times of the buses are listed.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

What standards are you referring to?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,187 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Both bus companies use large modern vehicles and there are rarely (when I see them) more than a few people on board. The fare from Seville to Portimão is between €20 and €29, a private transfer would cost at least ten times as much.

Tickets for both main operations are sold at www.movelia.es or can be purchased at Plaza da Armas bus station.

All long distance and international services in Portimão use a new bus terminal about a mile (1,5km) from the city centre, which is why now it would need two buses to get from there to Alvor or a short taxi ride or a walk around the riverside and under the two bridges to Largo do Dique for the Alvor bus. Buses around Portimáo on Sundays are very sparse, but at the least the route 1P bus to Alvor runs every 30 minutes in summer. There is a taxi stand outside the new bus station. If there are no taxis, you can phone for one or use the app details at www.taxiarade.com

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
5. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Thanks for your replies.I don't mean to come across as so awful as it seems I have: I am new to posting on Trip Advisor but go to it often for good feedback for many topics. I am traveling to Spain and Portugal for the first time and have not used this transportation system. Trying to find which stations and which buses to catch in both Seville ande to Alvor on my first day rather than by air is quite daunting with many different schedules and times to coordinate for one trip. The comments I first read on TA were responses to the same inquiry I have. Many reported in a post that the EVA and the ALSA were horrible, late, not reliable and were advising other readers not to support or use then giving them 1 or 2 stars. They were written a few years ago but this is where I was led.. Please refer to them so you'll see were this comes from. I'm thrilled to get the vibe that all is good with the system and that I should have no problem. Thank you for the tip on taking a taxi and for the new site.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,187 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Yes many of the earlier posts are quite a bit out of date now given recent changes to bus operations etc. There are far more options than there were four or five years ago. For those who prefer travelling during the night and don't mind arriving somewhere at 5am there are now also options with companies like Flixbus and Iberocoach.

The new bus terminal in Portimão is very inconvenient for many, but it greatly reduces the problems where buses using the old facility were snarled up in city traffic and often heavily delayed.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
7. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

Thank you so much for all the information about the buses, especially re the route that I will be taking to Alvor! The reassurance that they should be relatively easy to use helps tremendously.. I am sure my apprehension and fear will dissolve once I'm there and that I'll be able to laugh about it later. Ironically I have tried to purchase a ticket through the Movelia.es for an endless amount of time this evening. I keep getting kicked out as soon as I'm close to confirming. I will continue to try as well as through the Go Euro site. The tickets there cost a little more but that's ok.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,187 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao

There have been frequent mentions hereabouts that Movelia rejects credit cards other than Spanish ones.

Reply to: Bus or Private Driver Seville to Portimao
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations