We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandflies in Máncora?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Sandflies in Máncora?

Hello all, I'm thinking of heading to Máncora over Christmas and New Year for sand and surf but have read that there are sandflies on the beaches there. Is this true, and if so then how bad are they? I was really badly bitten on a virgin Cambodian island many years ago and now I always check whether a destination is sand fly free. We like to spend our days tanning on the beach and surfing, so Máncora appears to be the perfect place, but as sad as it sounds we'll steer well clear of the town if we can't lie on the beach in peace without being bitten by these dreaded blood suckers. Thanks for your honest advice.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Sandflies in Máncora?

None that I know or recall

Loja, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Sandflies in Máncora?

I've been in Mancora for several weeks now. You can hang out on the beach all day and not really be bothered by insects until about a half hour before sunset until an hour or two after sunset. I don't think they are sand flies, but lots of mosquitos during this time of day. I try to avoid being on the beach around sunset, because even with repellent I get bitten.

3. Re: Sandflies in Máncora?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2017, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Mancora