We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan in Peru

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
Vegan in Peru

I've been looking at visiting Peru, but on reading up on typical Peruvian food wanted to ask would it be a huge mistake for me a vegan like me to visit Peru? Its just there's no way I can sit next to somebody tucking into a roasted guinea pig. TIA for any replies.

6 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Vegan in Peru

My daughter is vegeterian and has no problems in finding dishes to order at the restaurants.

And by the way, guinea pig is mostly eaten in the highlands not in coastal places, mostly fish

You should have no problems

Edited: 17 August 2018, 07:37
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Vegan in Peru

Thank you xochitl for getting back. Your country looks so beautiful & will defo look into visiting.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Vegan in Peru

So many delicious soups. Vegie/corn/potato/quinoa. I'm not vegan/vegetarian but I ate mainly plant based food whilst in Peru and it was very good!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Vegan in Peru

Getting a proper vegan meal in Peru is not impossible, I had travel several times with vegetarians and vegans, let me tell you what I have found:

While in Lima, the capital of criolla food, there are also good vegetarian restaurants that offer vegan options, Miraflores and downtown Lima have good ones.

In Cusco the capital of national tourism there are more veg restaurants, but let me tell you that even regular restaurants have at least a couple of vegetarion options that you can ask to be modified to be veggan.

Im sure that at some point you will get bored of the pasta with veggies, so help out the waiter giving him ideas of what they can bring, waiters here are very attentive to what clients are looking for and most of the times will be ok with modiffiying dishes for customers.

Have a wonderful trip

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Vegan in Peru

Thanks again all. Can I ask another question please. Where would be best to base ourselves in order to see the main sights, visit the Amazon & beach to relax? We are prepared to travel round & have 2 weeks.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 20:45
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Vegan in Peru

I don't think of the beach when I think of Peru. And it also depends on when you are going. You will want to fly from Lima to Cusco for the Sacred Valley, MP and Cusco. From Cusco you can go to the Amazon. I have not been to the Amazon but you will probably book a tour to Tambopata. You will want 5-6 days for the Cusco area, 4-6 days for the Amazon and then a few days in Lima.

Reply to: Vegan in Peru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mancora