We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mancora Peru - July 2018

nyc
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Mancora Peru - July 2018

Has anyone been here lately? I have read mixed reviews and have a few questions. We are a group of 10 from NYC/LA who are thinking of renting a house here for a week. We would spend a few days in Lima and then fly to Mancora. We are looking for a cute/fun beach town where we can get a good mix of relaxing, good food and sight-seeing. Are there good restaurants and fun bars? Is Mancora worth it or is there somewhere else you would recommend instead?

Also, how are people there towards LGBT folks? We would have some in our group and just want to make sure they'd be safe, comfortable, and not discriminated against. Any information/thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
162 reviews
1. Re: Mancora Peru - July 2018

My wife & I are currently staying on Las Pocitas beach about 2-3kms from Mancora. We are not in your age-range but volunteer the following information. Mancora is Peru's premier beach resort and is currently heaving with young people. Of course, its being their summer, students have broken up for a couple of months so I have no idea how busy or quiet the resort would be in July. There are very many places to eat along the town 'strip', ranging from fast food outlets to reasonable restaurants with prices varying accordingly. The beach/bay enjoys some reasonable rollers and there are some seriously good surfing dudes. Water currently is not as warm as in many guides but OK and those with wet-suit tops and those without are around 50:50. This is not third-world South America but a large bottle of beer on the beach is circa 10 soles which I think is about US$3 which is not bad value for us Brits. This is a Catholic country so you don't, for example, get topless sunbathing as you do in Europe. Our Peruvian hotelier tells me that local people are entirely laid back when it comes to gay men & women but whether that extends to things like kissing in public, who knows? If we can help further, please let me know.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
2. Re: Mancora Peru - July 2018

I am currently in Mancora with my husband, March 2018.it is very run down, the beach is filthy with rubbish and can often have broken glass in the sand. The sea has jellyfish. There is no sightseeing here at all. The food is terrible, barely palatable and overpriced. Avoid if u can. Fly to Montanita, just a little further north for all the good vibes

Edited: 03 March 2018, 11:09
London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
162 reviews
3. Re: Mancora Peru - July 2018

Susan G seems to have visited an entirely different place! We came across no jellyfish in our month. Yes, the main Mancora beach is heavily used but walking a couple of hundred yards N up the beach it is a lot cleaner. Las Pocitas beach is pristine. In Mancora, you can get a huge triple-decker club sandwich + tasty beer-battered chips for less than $5 at beachside restaurant Huevos Verdes y Jamon (Green Egga & Bacon!). The best restaurant in town is La Sirena (The Mermaid) where their cooking is on a par with anything here in London. Beachside restaurant Donde Teresa, halfway to Las Pocitas, is also quite good. I agree that there is not a lot of sight-seeing to be done (it is a beach resort after all) but a trip down to Los Organos to see/swim with the huge green turtles is very enjoyable.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
4. Re: Mancora Peru - July 2018

Susan G from Ireland: what hotel are you staying at?

Edited: 07 March 2018, 07:13
London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
162 reviews
5. Re: Mancora Peru - July 2018

La Casa de Playa (but we are back in the UK now).

Reply to: Mancora Peru - July 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mancora