We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

I am needing to make a quick decision between the two. I've stayed on Siesta before, within walking distance to the village. Can someone give me an idea of what the pros and cons between the two might be? I'm guessing that Siesta might be a bit more touristy? Is there a better area to stay on Anna Maria? ThX!!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

They have two different characters. Siesta Key has many condos and high rises. Buildings on AMI are restricted to 3 stories. On AMI the only fast food place is a Subway. In general AMI is a more homey place and I think there are more cottage-like places on the beach at AMI than at Siesta Key.

You will enjoy either place.

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

The house we are looking at is on Key Royale, which isn't on the beach, but the owner says is very nice. We have a jet ski, so we're excited about being able to use it in the Bay. He also says that beach access is very easy, just drive and park. Is there a preferred "beach" area for families?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

I've driven on Key Royale - to look at the expensive houses. I'm not sure that the water off there is batheable though but you could certainly jet ski around to the public park at the north end of AMI. The water there is between the FL mainland and AMI so it is not really IN the Gulf.

Maybe RustyKat would pop in and give you her take on it.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

What I wrote above might be misleading. When I said "the water there", I meant the water off of Key Royale. This water is not really IN the Gulf.

The water at the public beach at the North end of AMI is certainly nice to swim in.

There is only one road on and off from Key Royale and it will bring you more into the small business district of the island, in which case if you were driving to the beach, the Manatee public beach (not the one mentioned above) would be nearer for you. Look at Google Maps to see what I mean. In fact Google Earth will show you exactly why the water right off Key Royale is not good for bathing.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

Key Royale is a REALLY nice area on AMI - "millionnaires drive".

AMI has a more "homely" feel than anywhere else I have been. It is generally not highly manicured and pristine like say Longboat Key but this is part of its charm.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

Christy - here is a great website that will show you an areial view of the entire island www.awesomeannamaria.com I'm not a big fan of Key Royale, just doesnt have that "Old Florida", beachy,funky feel that Anna Maria Island does. To me it is just like any other high priced development that should have never been built on water, sorry, just my opinion. But, come on in to Anna Maria, you will love it and I think you will see what I mean.

7. Re: Difference between Anna Maria & Siesta Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 05:48