We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treasure Beach basics

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Treasure Beach basics

It's our first trip to Jamaica. We are looking for a relaxing and low key time. Really love the idea of renting a house so we can enjoy the luxury of a cook and maid,etc. We are looking for some basic logistics help such as airport transfers, currency exchange, grocery shopping etc. What are the must sees and locations for our active family with high school and college age kids? We are interested in exploring, history, local events, natural landmarks and a fun time. We also really would love to hear some live reggae music when there. Is this an option in Treasure beach? Can't wait to get your feedback!

7 replies to this topic
Richmond, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Treasure Beach basics

My husband and I went to Treasure Beach for our first time last year. We loved it so much we are going back next February, this time we are bringing our 10 year old.

We also stayed at a staffed villa (Villa Du Soleil), we are staying there when we go back. We didn't do our own grocery shopping, the cook/housekeeper did it for us. She was amazing. We just reimbursed her. She cooked breakfast and dinner most nights. Other nights or for lunch we walked to some of the local spots.

For our airport transfer we used Treasure Tours, they are local to TB. They picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. They also can be used for excursions (Black river, Pelican Bar, Lovers Leap etc.). The drivers and staff were so helpful. I am not sure about live music, I think there are a couple of local bar spots that have a DJ or live music some weekends. There are a few TB experts on the forum that know more about that than me.

We exchanged money at home however we did use the ATM at Jack Sprat's in TB once or twice. I think most people find it easier to exchange money before getting to TB (on the way in, not at the airport).

Where are you staying? Hope you fall in love with TB like we did!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Treasure Beach basics

Agree with the above, first of all.

I'd let the villa deal with shopping, if you have the option. Just give any special requests in advance.

Rent scooters, go to Lovers Leap, and going the other way ride out to Ft Charles Beach, a long virtually desolate stretch of coast. Ride down to Great Bay and check out the little bars and cook shops, then hike up Pedro Bluff. Check out the sports park. Black River. YS Falls.

Edited: 23 April 2018, 02:42
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Treasure Beach basics

Adding - if you want to do some of your own shopping you can do so on the way in (MoBay or Black River which has supermarkets and an open air veggie/fruit market) or in Crossroads, about 15 minutes from TB.

I second Treasure Tours -they are local and great.

Things to do/check out - the Sports Park (whatever is happening when you are there), Lovers Leap, Black River in a TB boat like Dennis Abrahams, Pelican Bar, YS Falls. Any bar/restaurant, Jack Sprat has a weekly movie night and live music occasionally.

Many great villas to choose from. Which depends on budget and amenities (on beach, pool, AC, etc), and location - central to walk to things in Calabash or Frenchmans or a bit further - Old Wharf, or super private and remote out in Fort Charles or on Great Bay.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
496 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Treasure Beach basics

Treasure Tours is an amazing resource (and they are all incredibly nice people, from the owner on down). They will handle transfers, tours, and a villa--and their drivers will help with currency exchange.

If you're interested in a quirky, historic villa at an amazing price, I can recommend Folichon (available through Treasure Tours). Actually, I can't recommend it highly enough. It has two pavilions with two bedrooms each, an enormous oceanfront porch, and it's on the best swimming beach in the area. Right in the midst of everything, but very peaceful and private. And the staff are some of the nicest people I've ever met (and great cooks!).

The big two of excursions from Treasure Beach are YS Falls (usually combined with a tour of the Appleton distillery) and a boat trip on the Black River and to the Pelican Bar. Both of them are absolutely worth it. I admit that I'll probably skip YS next time (having been twice), but I would never miss the trip up the Black River. Try to make sure you go all the way to Sister Lou's on the Black River for crab, it's such an amazing place.

Treasure Beach is so wonderful that we're having a tough time taking our spring break anywhere else. It's the friendliest place in the world.

Edited: 24 April 2018, 03:04
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
271 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Treasure Beach basics

I also highly recommend Treasure Tours - we have used them for several years and they are the best for everything (villa rental, airport transfers, excursions). We like to stop in Black River on the way to do a little grocery shopping ourselves - beer, wine, rum and mixers so our cook doesn't have to haul the heavy stuff there for us. I like her to concentrate on the food!! Your driver should know of a good cambio to exchange money between the airport and TB - much better rate than the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Treasure Beach basics

Rebecca and her team at Treasure Tours are absolutely wonderful! - professional, reliable and very, very nice people!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Treasure Beach basics

As for live music, you're options are limited. There are two gentleman, O'neil and McGuyver, that usually have their guitar and bass with them.They don't have a steady gig playing anywhere that I know of, but are always happy to jam a bit. I usually buy them a few beers or give them a little something for playing. TB isn't big, you'll have no trouble finding them.

Reply to: Treasure Beach basics
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach