We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange question

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Money exchange question

I'll be traveling to TB in 42 days!! I plan to exchange some USD after I arrive on the island. My question is, are larger bills ($100s) ok for exchanging?

I'm used to taking lots of smaller bills (normally don't take anything larger than a $20) because I don't normally exchange any.

TIA!

10 replies to this topic
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Money exchange question

Generally I'll say yes, hundreds are OK at any cambio. We stop on the way to TB to do that since once IN TB there are only hotels (Jake's) to exchange at and the rate isn't great. You can do it in MoBay or Black River, assume you have a driver?

There is also an ATM at Jack Sprat that dispenses JA$, if your bank's fees aren't high that can be a good option.

Enjoy your trip!!

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Money exchange question

Thank you for the info, ohliz. Yes, we do have a driver.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Money exchange question

OK any reputable cambio should have no problem with $100 bills.If for some reason one does you can always stop at a bank...they just usually take longer.

You might want to stop for groceries/beer before you get there too, if you have a kitchen and/or fridge. There are shops in TB but small and limited selection and cost a bit more.

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Money exchange question

We do have a min fridge in our room (staying at Jake's) and planned to stop for a few things. We're only going to be there for 3 nights so, we won't need much!

Thank you again for the great info :)

3 posts
5. Re: Money exchange question

Ask your driver to stop at a Cambio in Montego Bay as they have the best rates. DO NOT change at the airport as their rates are terrible. Large bills are accepted pretty much anywhere.

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Money exchange question

Thank you Annabelle! I knew not to exchange at the airport :)

Montego Bay, Jamaica
9 posts
7. Re: Money exchange question

I currently live in Montego Bay and exchange large bills at the cambio all the time. You won't have a problem with that.

OK
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Money exchange question

Thank you SuzyJA!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
492 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Money exchange question

There is at least one driver who will actually exchange money for you at a great rate.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Money exchange question

Hundos are accepted at every Cambio and Bank I've been to to exchange money. They will look at it carefully as there have been problems with counterfeit bills being "washed" in Jamaica in the past.

Reply to: Money exchange question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach