We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Is Polignano worth the trip ?

I am travelling Italy 2018 from London to Venice-Florence-Amalfi - Polignano mare maybe,trip was for the cave restaurant but i dont like the bad reviews. Then to Caulonia then Rome then Sardinia. Is this town Polignano Mare any different to other coastal towns?, as it is out of the way

29 replies to this topic
new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

I am planing to visit Puglia in Spring. I have the exact same question? Should I stay in Polignano a Mare or Monopolli?? or better place near by? II don't just want to stay Polignano a Mare because the Cave restaurant.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
672 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Jennymazza, if your sole reason for visiting Polignano was to visit that restaurant, then it's certainly not worth the lengthy detour between Amalfi and Calabria. We stayed in Polignano in 2012 and made a return visit a few years later whilst staying in nearby Ostuni. The return visit was to spend a few more hours in this delightful small town, and to eat again at our favourite restaurant in Polignano. (Not the cave restaurant, which we have never tried for the reason you state.)

Skimny, i don't know what your preferences are, but I would say that we visited Monopoli, from Polignano, and we prefer the latter.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
173 reviews
3. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

I'm just back from Polignano and imo it's not worth making a detour for. Of all the places we visited it was our least favourite. It is certainly pretty and the centro is beautiful but so are many other places. We were not overly impressed with the top rated restaurants and forget about going to the beach in high season. I spent 5 nights there and we travelled out every day. However we were there during St. Vito celebrations so perhaps we were seeing it at a bad time. In March it's probably a totally different place with a nicer vibe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Okay, I'll bite.

What's your favourite resto in Polignano besides "the cave"? We'll be there in September.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
1 review
5. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Jenny, do you have the slightest idea of the time needed to go from Amalfi to Polignano and then Caulonia? For a restaurant no italian cares about?

Driving times: www.viamichelin.com (google maps' times through the Appenines aren't realistic).

Trains: www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en Use a date of travel before December 11.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Hello , Polignano is lovely , we had 3 days there 2 weeks ago .Did not go to the Cave Restaurant but we dined at DÒNNA GINA which we enjoyed & looks down on the beach . It's a busy town . Sardinia is amazing , we spent a month there & loved it !! Susan

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
672 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Duhcar:

L''Osteria di Chichibio.

(Recommended to us by a Puglian friend before our first visit. For which, many thanks Riccardo).

Not in the TA top ten - and TA reviews do throw up some rather strange results - but the only Polignano restaurant in this year's Michelin guide.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
173 reviews
8. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Interesting observation re TÁ listings. We were not impressed with the restaurant s in Polignano and were surprised how highly rated they were. There was nothing wrong with them but we have better elsewhere and we have visited Italy numerous occasions.

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

Blath, did you try Pescaria? We like it a great deal.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
173 reviews
10. Re: Is Polignano worth the trip ?

No, we didn't. I have reviews of most of the places we went.

Reply to: Is Polignano worth the trip ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Polignano a Mare
Recent Conversations