We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

There doesn't seem to be an area for an overall review of CDM so thought I would post it here.

CDM is a beautiful hamlet not far from Amalfi.

One thing that you will encounter regardless of where you stay is steps! It's basically built on the cliffs of the coast. Every day in CDM is a leg day. There are hundreds and hundreds of them, so if you are in any way less than fully mobile you will struggle. I would also say this goes for push chairs, prays etc. We stayed in the middle on via dei navigante, to get to the shop or tabbachi you have to walk up. The beach is down and a long way down at that! If your accommodation says 0.5 miles from the beach the chances are strong that this is 0.5 milesdown, meaning many, many ,many steps. Some of the steps are lit at night but not all. Our teen went over on her ankle half way through the holiday and left us house bound for a few days. There is a local mini bus that runs until 7pm up and down the village for €1. It is often very busy in high season.

At the top of the village are 3 restaurants, 1 mini market and the tabbachi where you buy bus tickets.

On the beach are 3 other restaurants. Sita buses run regularly to Amalfi. Tickets cannot be bought aboard so you have to get these at the tabbachi and cost approx €1.60 for a single journey.

Depending on where you are staying I would suggest catching the bus to Amalfi from the hotel belvedere at the bottom and then coming home on the Agerola bus getting off at Hotel Monastero at the top. This way you are only walking down the steps.

Public transport is very good on the Amalfi coast and runs regularly to lots of places but is very hot, crowded. If you want to go on a day trip to Pompeii, Vesuvius etc I would recommend booking a guided tour. It's more expensive but in the long run worth it. I would also recommend hiring a boat for the day. The scenery is best appreciated from the sea. Chug along the coast line to positano or one of the many beautiful bays. The restaurants along the coast have boats that will come out and get you.

I know I've gone on and on about the steps but please do not underestimate how many of them there are and that there is no choice in using them at some point. If you do choose to stay in CDM you will be rewarded with the most amazing views.

11 replies to this topic
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Thank you for your insights. As for repeated comments about the steps, forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 05:07
Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. We are going there tomorrow for a few nights from Florence. This is the last leg of our trip. The bus suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Hi, thanks for your details review of CDM. We're staying there in June and debating whether to rent a car (we're coming from Rome). Sounds like perhaps having a car would be easier to get to Pompeii and other towns around? Also, we want to do a boat tour to/around Capri. Did you find a particular company that you liked and would recommend? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Hi, thanks for your details review of CDM. We're staying there in June and debating whether to rent a car (we're coming from Rome). Sounds like perhaps having a car would be easier to get to Pompeii and other towns around? Also, we want to do a boat tour to/around Capri. Did you find a particular company that you liked and would recommend? Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

... after many visits to the AC over many years, CDM is my favorite ... yes there are lots of stairs but how else can you get such breathless views ... I like to rent an apartment in the Hotel Belvedere complex which provides covered parking and as mentioned is at a bus stop ... the wonderful beach/fishing village is 300 stairs away and if you want to skip the climb up you can get a water taxi from the beach to Amalfi centro and then take the bus back to CDM ... it’s perfect!

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Hello,

If you jsut stay at the hotel belveder and don't go anywhere.....are there still steps?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

... the Belvedere is at street level ... check website ... http://belvederehotel.it/en ... enjoy

Dublin
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Frank,

There is no mention of apartments on the hotel site how do you get information on them?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

... here you go DC ... stayed a number of times and love it! ... https://abnb.me/DXXofsOspO

Dublin
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini

Thanks Frank I think I might have walked past that apartment on my way to the beach.

Reply to: Overall review of Conca Dei Marini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Conca dei Marini