We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

We are thinking of visiting Rhodes for the day and wondered if these buses are wheelchair accessible?

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

Hi.

From what I've seen the buses are not wheelchair friendly. I've seen people with them but they have to struggle on to the bus and fold the chair and put it in the luggage compartment. Where are you staying?

Dave

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

Oh that wouldn't be suitable, I was hoping that they would be the new type buses that lower to the ground, he could then wheel himself on and there would be a place on the bus for him to remain sitting on the lower deck. As he is unable to walk at all and the chair is a rigid frame it would not be suitable.

We aren't staying in Rhodes town, I want to visit for the day from Turkey.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

" I was hoping that they would be the new type buses that lower to the ground"

But if you look closely in places where these do operate you'll see that while the bus lowers itself, it isn't to the ground, in fact the pavement is permanently raised at the bus stops so the ground meets the bus halfway. This requires significant investment from the highway authority, and in areas where it hasn't been done the driver has to get out of the cab and deploy a ramp.

There's not enough money in Greece to maintain the existing footways let alone invest in raising them at bus stops, the condition they are in in Rhodes Town is about as unfriendly to wheelchairs as you can get.

That's before you visit the Old Town which as a World Heritage Site has to be maintained in as close to original condition as you can get, which means cobblestones designed by medieval engineers to provide grip for donkeys hauling carts, almost uncrossable by wheelchairs.

4. Re: Hop On - wheelchair accessible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town
Recent Conversations