We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hi all,

We haven't locked down any dates or anything for our holidays this year, but we generally go for the first two weeks of September. We're considering adding Serifos to our itinerary this year (we've talked about it the last three years but it never seemed to make the cut!)

We love Sifnos, it's probably our favourite island so far and I know Serifos is quite close to it, what I'm wondering really is will it be very quiet come September? What's the weather usually like this time of year? (Our second trip to Sifnos was in September and it was very windy and there was some rain one of the days, we could see a big difference in the weather compared to the first time we visited the island which was in August)

I'm assuming Livadi is the best/only place to stay on the island?

Any opinions or suggestions about anything related to Serifos greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Leanne

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
22 replies to this topic
Llano, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

We will also be in Greece, sailing, the first two weeks of September. We love Serifos. The view of the Chora above the port as you are entering the harbor is one of the most beautiful in Greece. There is a hidden gem toward the back of the port town. There is a couple who make their own cheeses, jams, and liqueur from their own goats, lemons, and native herbs. Ask the owner of the biggish hotel in the middle of the port road for directions to Rita's house - about a 15 minute walk and hard too find. When you are closer, you can ask the people in the hardware store! Rita and her husband are so wonderful and will show you their farm. Don't miss the copper still in the barn! I tried to add a couple of photos, but I guess you can only do that in reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Chora
Chora
493 Reviews
Amorgos, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Thanks everyone - I'm suitably reassured!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

I would suggest you staying 4 or maximum 5 days in Serifos and save more days for Milos if you are planning to visit it as it is quite bigger and you may need 6 days to visit its must sees. Serifos is a beautiful island you will never regret visiting. If you are still looking for accommodation in Livadaki I would suggest you Medousa apartnments. In early September it will already be quiet in Cyclades. I would just cut Folegandros out from your list as Milos and Serifos are really pretty and Sifnos is also worth a visit. If you need more info about Serifos you can check out my blog post: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

We just got back from Serifos. Avoid the port and take the trouble to go up to Chora, a lovely town dramatically perched on a steep hill.

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Thanks Bertrand M - we're definitely going to spend some time in Chora, it sounds great!

Thalia P only seeing your reply now. We've been to Sifnos twice now and love it, it's still our favourite island despite having visiting others. It will be our second trip to both Milos and Folegandros which is why we want to spend a little bit more time on Serifos, it being our first time there.

Hopefully we made the right choice, but regardless of that we always seem to have a great time in Greece so I have high hopes again for this year!!

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Hi

Are you back from your trip yet?

With the Easyjet flights out today we've booked up next year and would appreciate your thoughts on where to stay in Serifos please.

It looks like Livadaki is the place to stay for better beaches than the port...?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Unfortunately we're back :(

Based on what we did during our time there I'm definitely glad we stayed at the port. Surprisingly we preferred the beach at the other end of the port, Livadi. Livadakia seemed to be the better choice based on what we read before our holidays but that wasn't the case for us when we actually got there.

We stayed in Pounti - really couldn't recommend it more, very basic rooms but spotless with a great big bathroom and good shower. Owner was lovely and from our room we had the nicest view of the port. It's also within walking distance of pretty much everything!

We hiked on our first day to Psilli Ammos beach (hope I'm spelling that right). Was tough going but we enjoyed it considering our fitness levels wouldn't be much to write home about! Beach was nice, but not organised but there was a decent enough restaurant there for lunch. You need to be careful on the beaches as there's a lot of debris from all the trees - I managed to cut my foot on our first day (typical!!!) And had to hobble about for almost the first week!

Going a bit off topic if you're looking for nice places to eat we really enjoyed Porto Vecchio, a great Italian and we loved The Skippers Dock. To be honest I don't think we had any bad experiences when it came to food on Serifos! It's a great island. If you could put the beaches on Milos together with the port of Serifos it would be my dream holiday!!!

I could write an essay about how much we enjoyed it but I'll stop now! Any other questions feel free to ask and I hope you like it as much as we did!

Mentioned in this post
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Porto-Vecchio
Porto-Vecchio
Corsica, France
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Many thanks for your reply.

We're planning on making Serifos the first stop on a three island holiday next year, flying into Athens and out of Santorini, we don't plan on staying in Santorini as we've been there a couple of times before

We've been to Miilos, Sifnos, Naxos , Paros and Santorini before, so are currently planning on Serifos, Folegandros and Ios

I'm interested in whereabouts the best place to stay in Serifos is? In one guidebook, it says the beach isn't great at the port, and it's much better to head to Livadakia, is that right?

As far as getting around to other beaches, I saw you hiked to one, are they accessible by car or quad bike?

We'll be staying for four or five nights, so any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

I was very satisfied with staying in Livadakia and would never have changed to Livadia. Other posters have other opinions. That's how it is.

Maynooth, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos

Periscope that's exactly it!

We prefer our base to be where we think there will be more options for the evenings like places to eat etc. as we're more than happy to travel around during the day. Having said that Livadakia and Livadi are so close together it's almost much of a muchness as to where you stay but we were delighted that we chose to stay in Livadi. It really is personal preference.

Billyseagull we walked one of the days but we also rented a quad for two other days to explore a bit further. Having a rental was really handy, we visited Chora a lot and had breakfast or lunch there a couple of times, the bus to Chora is quite regular though, we also used that once and it leaves from outside the tourist office in Livadi. It's a lot easier to get around by quad as you don't need to worry about the conditions of some of the roads and it's easier to find parking at most beaches etc.

I hope you enjoy Folegandros too, we were also there this year for the second time. We stayed in Polikandia - was one of the nicest places we've stayed in, we usually stay in more affordable places but splashed out on a superior room here - it's nice to treat yourself every once in a while :)

Mentioned in this post
Livadi
Livadi
Serifos, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Reply to: Looking for some info/opinions on Serifos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Serifos
Recent Conversations